Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
Was in der Schenke waren heute Am frühsten Morgen für Tumulte! Der Wirt und Mädchen! Fackeln, Leute! Was gab's für Händel,für Insulte! Die Flöte klang, die Trommel scholl! Das war ein wüstes Wesen; Doch bin ich, Lust und Liebevoll, Auch selbst dabei gewesen. Daß ich von Sitte nichts gelernt, Darüber tadelt mich ein jeder; Doch bleib ich weislich weit entfernt Vom Streit der Schulen und Katheder.
About the headline (FAQ)
- by Johann Wolfgang von Goethe (1749 - 1832), no title, written 1818, appears in West-östlicher Divan, in 9. Das Schenkenbuch -- Saki Nameh, first published 1827 [author's text checked 1 time against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive):
- by Hugo Wolf (1860 - 1903), "Was in der Schenke waren heute", 1889, published 1891 [ voice and piano ], from Goethe-Lieder, no. 38, Mainz, Schott [sung text checked 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- CAT Catalan (Català) (Salvador Pila) , "Hi havia avui a la taverna", copyright © 2021, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ENG English (Malcolm Wren) , "In the tavern today", copyright © 2006, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Guy Laffaille) , copyright © 2011, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ITA Italian (Italiano) (Ferdinando Albeggiani) , "Nella taverna stamattina", copyright © 2013, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Emily Ezust [Administrator]
This text was added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Line count: 12
Word count: 66
In the tavern today, first thing in the morning, there was such a commotion! The landlord, girls! Torches, people! There were such quarrels, such insults! The flute piped, the drum sounded! It was all a mess; But I myself, full of delight and love, I too was there. The fact that I haven't learnt how to behave, that's something I might be criticised for; But at least I have kept my distance from disputes in schools and universities.
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to English copyright © 2006 by Malcolm Wren, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
- a text in German (Deutsch) by Johann Wolfgang von Goethe (1749 - 1832), no title, written 1818, appears in West-östlicher Divan, in 9. Das Schenkenbuch -- Saki Nameh, first published 1827
This text was added to the website: 2006-03-01
Line count: 12
Word count: 78