Some of the following material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. Printing copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator is also illegal.
You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
For more information, contact us at:
Before writing, please read the instructions below the translations (under Authorship). Always include the names of the translators in your email if you wish to reprint something!
Was in der Schenke waren heute Am frühsten Morgen für Tumulte! Der Wirt und Mädchen! Fackeln, Leute! Was gab's für Händel,für Insulte! Die Flöte klang, die Trommel scholl! Das war ein wüstes Wesen; Doch bin ich, Lust und Liebevoll, Auch selbst dabei gewesen. Daß ich von Sitte nichts gelernt, Darüber tadelt mich ein jeder; Doch bleib ich weislich weit entfernt Vom Streit der Schulen und Katheder.
About the headline (FAQ)
- by Johann Wolfgang von Goethe (1749 - 1832), no title, written 1818, appears in West-östlicher Divan, in 9. Das Schenkenbuch -- Saki Nameh, first published 1827 [author's text checked 1 time against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Hugo Wolf (1860 - 1903), "Was in der Schenke waren heute", 1889, published 1891 [voice and piano], from Goethe-Lieder, no. 38, Mainz, Schott [text verified 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Malcolm Wren) , title 1: "In the tavern today", copyright © 2006, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Guy Laffaille) , title unknown, copyright © 2011, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ITA Italian (Italiano) (Ferdinando Albeggiani) , title 1: "Nella taverna stamattina", copyright © 2013, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Emily Ezust [Administrator]
Text added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Last modified: 2014-06-16 10:01:30
Line count: 12
Word count: 66
In the tavern today, first thing in the morning, there was such a commotion! The landlord, girls! Torches, people! There were such quarrels, such insults! The flute piped, the drum sounded! It was all a mess; But I myself, full of delight and love, I too was there. The fact that I haven't learnt how to behave, that's something I might be criticised for; But at least I have kept my distance from disputes in schools and universities.
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to English copyright © 2006 by Malcolm Wren, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
- a text in German (Deutsch) by Johann Wolfgang von Goethe (1749 - 1832), no title, written 1818, appears in West-östlicher Divan, in 9. Das Schenkenbuch -- Saki Nameh, first published 1827
Text added to the website: 2006-03-01 00:00:00
Last modified: 2014-06-16 10:02:17
Line count: 12
Word count: 78