Some of the following material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. Printing copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator is also illegal.
You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
For more information, contact us at:
Before writing, please read the instructions below the translations (under Authorship). Always include the names of the translators in your email if you wish to reprint something!
Wenn ich dein gedenke, Fragt mich gleich der Schenke: Herr, warum so still? Da von deinen Lehren immer weiter hören Saki gerne will. Wenn ich mich vergesse Unter der Zypresse, Hält er nichts davon; Und im stillen Kreise Bin ich doch so weise, Klug wie Salomon.
About the headline (FAQ)
- by Johann Wolfgang von Goethe (1749 - 1832), no title, written 1818, appears in West-östlicher Divan, in 8. Buch Suleika -- Suleika Nameh [author's text not yet checked against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Hugo Wolf (1860 - 1903), "Wenn ich dein gedenke", 1888, published 1891 [voice and piano], from Goethe-Lieder, no. 46, Mainz, Schott [text verified 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Malcolm Wren) , title 1: "When I think of you", copyright © 2006, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Guy Laffaille) , title unknown, copyright © 2011, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ITA Italian (Italiano) (Ferdinando Albeggiani) , title 1: "Quando a te volgo il pensiero", copyright © 2012, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Emily Ezust [Administrator]
Text added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Last modified: 2014-06-16 10:01:30
Line count: 12
Word count: 46
When I think of you the cup-bearer just asks me, "Sir, why are you so still? Your teaching in ever greater detail is something Saki is keen on." When I forget myself under the cypress tree he gets nothing from it; and in this quiet circle I am as wise and as clever as Solomon.
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to English copyright © 2006 by Malcolm Wren, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
- a text in German (Deutsch) by Johann Wolfgang von Goethe (1749 - 1832), no title, written 1818, appears in West-östlicher Divan, in 8. Buch Suleika -- Suleika Nameh
Text added to the website: 2006-03-01 00:00:00
Last modified: 2014-06-16 10:02:17
Line count: 12
Word count: 55