Some of the following material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. Printing copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator is also illegal.
You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
For more information, contact us at:
Before writing, please read the instructions below the translations (under Authorship). Always include the names of the translators in your email if you wish to reprint something!
Lebet wohl, geliebte Bäume, Wachset in der Himmelsluft. Tausend liebevolle Träume Schlingen sich durch euren Duft. Doch was steh' ich und verweile? Wie so schwer, so bang ist's mir? Ja, ich gehe! Ja, ich eile! Aber ach mein Herz bleibt hier.
About the headline (FAQ)
Confirmed with Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, Claudine von Villa Bella, Leipzig: bey Georg Joachin Göschen, 1788, page 47
- by Johann Wolfgang von Goethe (1749 - 1832), no title, appears in Claudine von Villa Bella [author's text checked 1 time against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by F. W. Otto Braune , "Lebet wohl!", published 1849, Merseburg, Garcke [ sung text not verified ]
- by Niels Wilhelm Gade (1817 - 1890), "Lebet wohl, geliebte Bäume" [ sung text not verified ]
- by Ferdinand von Hiller (1811 - 1885), "Lebet wohl, geliebte Bäume", 1837. [ sung text not verified ]
- by Josephine Lang (1815 - 1880), "Lebet wohl, geliebte Bäume", op. 9 (Sechs Lieder) no. 1 (1834), published 1841 [voice and piano], Leipzig, Kistner [ sung text verified 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Sharon Krebs) , "Farewell, beloved trees!", copyright © 2006, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Research team for this text: Sharon Krebs [Guest Editor] , Andrew Schneider [Guest Editor]
Text added to the website: 2005-11-04 00:00:00
Last modified: 2017-08-28 19:04:17
Line count: 8
Word count: 42
Farewell, beloved trees! Grow in the heavenly air. A thousand fond dreams Wind themselves through your scent. But what do I stand and linger? How is [my heart] so heavy, how am I so anxious? Yes, I go! Yes, I hasten [away]! But, ah, my heart remains here.
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to English copyright © 2006 by Sharon Krebs, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
- a text in German (Deutsch) by Johann Wolfgang von Goethe (1749 - 1832), no title, appears in Claudine von Villa Bella
Text added to the website: 2006-11-13 00:00:00
Last modified: 2016-05-02 12:19:35
Line count: 8
Word count: 49