Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
O Jüngling, der du gehst bei mir vorüber, Ich singe nicht für dich, hör' mir nicht zu. Für Einen sing' ich, der mir zehnmal lieber, Für Einen, der viel schöner ist, als du.
About the headline (FAQ)
Confirmed with Paul Heyse, Italienisches Liederbuch, Berlin: Verlag von Wilhelm Hertz (Bessersche Buchhandlung), 1860, page 14.
- by Paul Heyse (1830 - 1914), no title, appears in Italienisches Liederbuch, in Rispetti, in Toscanisch, no. 29 [author's text checked 2 times against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Richard Barth (1850 - 1923), "O Jüngling, der du gehst bei mir vorüber", op. 12 (Fünf Lieder für 1 Singstimme mit Pianoforte) no. 5, published 1893 [ voice and piano ], Frankfurt a/M., Steyl & Thomas [sung text not yet checked]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Sharon Krebs) , "Oh young man, you who walk past me", copyright © 2020, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Pierre Mathé) , "Ô garçon qui passe près de moi", copyright © 2020, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Research team for this text: Emily Ezust [Administrator] , Sharon Krebs [Guest Editor]
This text was added to the website: 2011-07-27
Line count: 4
Word count: 33
Oh young man, you who walk past me, I do not sing for you, do not listen to me. I sing for one who is ten times more dear to me, For one who is much more handsome than you.
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to English copyright © 2020 by Sharon Krebs, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
- a text in German (Deutsch) by Paul Heyse (1830 - 1914), no title, appears in Italienisches Liederbuch, in Rispetti, in Toscanisch, no. 29
This text was added to the website: 2020-12-05
Line count: 4
Word count: 40