Jamie, come try me, Jamie, come try me, If thou would win my love, Jamie, come try me. If thou should ask my love, Could I deny thee? If thou would win my love, Jamie, come try me! If thou should kiss me, love, Wha could espy thee? If thou wad be my love, Jamie, come try me! Jamie, come try me, Jamie, come try me, If thou would win my love, Jamie, come try me.
- by Robert Burns (1759 - 1796), "Jamie, come try me", written 1789, first published 1789 [author's text checked 2 times against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by (Franz) Joseph Haydn (1732 - 1809), "Jamie, come try me", JHW. XXXII/1 no. 79, Hob. XXXIa no. 79 [sung text checked 1 time]
Settings in other languages, adaptations, or excerpts:
- Also set in German (Deutsch), a translation by L. G. Silbergleit , "Wollt' er nur fragen" ; composed by Carl Bohm, Catharinus Elling, Carl Goldmark, George Henschel, Wilhelm Albert Rischbieter, Felix von Woyrsch.
- Also set in Slovenian (Slovenščina), a translation by Oton Župančič (1878 - 1949) ; composed by Anton Lajovic.
Other available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- CZE Czech (Čeština) (Josef Václav Sládek) , "Přijď si mne zkusit"
- FRE French (Français) (Pierre Mathé) , "Jamie, viens me tenter", copyright © 2014, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Emily Ezust [Administrator]
This text was added to the website: 2007-11-21
Line count: 16
Word count: 77