Some of the following material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. Printing copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator is also illegal.
You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
For more information, contact us at:
Before writing, please read the instructions below the translations (under Authorship). Always include the names of the translators in your email if you wish to reprint something!
Jamie, come try me, Jamie, come try me, If thou would win my love, Jamie, come try me. If thou should ask my love, Could I deny thee? If thou would win my love, Jamie, come try me! If thou should kiss me, love, Wha could espy thee? If thou wad be my love, Jamie, come try me! Jamie, come try me, Jamie, come try me, If thou would win my love, Jamie, come try me.
- by Robert Burns (1759 - 1796), "Jamie, come try me", written 1789, first published 1789 [author's text checked 2 times against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by (Franz) Joseph Haydn (1732 - 1809), "Jamie, come try me", JHW. XXXII/1 no. 79, Hob. XXXIa no. 79 [sung text checked 1 time]
Settings in other languages, adaptations, or excerpts:
- Also set in German (Deutsch), a translation by L. G. Silbergleit , "Wollt' er nur fragen" ; composed by Carl Bohm, Catharinus Elling, Carl Goldmark, George Henschel, Wilhelm Albert Rischbieter, Felix von Woyrsch.
- Also set in Slovenian (Slovenščina), a translation by Oton Župančič (1878 - 1949) ; composed by Anton Lajovic.
Other available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- CZE Czech (Čeština) (Josef Václav Sládek) , "Přijď si mne zkusit"
- FRE French (Français) (Pierre Mathé) , "Jamie, viens me tenter", copyright © 2014, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Emily Ezust [Administrator]
Text added to the website: 2007-11-21 00:00:00
Last modified: 2014-09-23 11:18:03
Line count: 16
Word count: 77
Jamie, viens me tenter, Jamie, viens me tenter Si tu veux gagner mon amour, Jamie, viens me tenter. Si tu briguais mon amour, Pourrais-je t'éconduire ? Si tu veux gagner mon amour, Jamie, viens me tenter ! Si tu voulais m'embrasser, amour Qui pourrait te voir ? Si tu veux être mon amour, Jamie, viens me tenter ! Jamie, viens me tenter, Jamie, viens me tenter Si tu veux gagner mon amour, Jamie, viens me tenter.
- Translation from Scottish (Scots) to French (Français) copyright © 2014 by Pierre Mathé, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
- a text in Scottish (Scots) by Robert Burns (1759 - 1796), "Jamie, come try me", written 1789, first published 1789
Text added to the website: 2014-09-22 00:00:00
Last modified: 2014-09-23 11:18:40
Line count: 16
Word count: 77