Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
Ample make this Bed -- Make this Bed with Awe -- In it wait till Judgment break Excellent and Fair. Be its Mattress straight -- Be its Pillow round -- Let no Sunrise' yellow noise Interrupt this Ground --
About the headline (FAQ)
- by Emily Dickinson (1830 - 1886), no title, appears in Poems by Emily Dickinson, first published 1891 [author's text checked 1 time against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive):
- by Ernst Bacon (1898 - 1990), "No sunrise", 1960-70 [sung text not yet checked]
- by Arthur Farwell (1872 - 1952), "Ample make this bed", op. 108 (Ten Emily Dickinson Songs) no. 7 [sung text not yet checked]
- by Daron Aric Hagen (b. 1961), "Ample make this bed", 1989 [ voice and piano ], from Love in a Life, no. 3 [sung text not yet checked]
- by Jake Heggie (b. 1961), "Ample make this bed", 2000, first performed 2000 [ soprano and piano ], from How Well I Knew the Light, no. 1 [sung text checked 1 time]
- by Brian Holmes (b. 1946), "Ample make this bed" [ soprano, chorus, children's chorus, and orchestra ], from Amherst Requiem, no. 6 [sung text checked 1 time]
- by Michael M. Horvit (b. 1932), "Ample make this bed", published 1970 [ soprano and piano ], from Three Songs of Elegy [sung text not yet checked]
- by Ulysses Simpson Kay (1917 - 1995), "Ample make this bed", published 1964 [ SSA chorus and piano ], from Emily Dickinson Set [sung text not yet checked]
- by David Leisner (b. 1958), "Ample make this Bed", 1986 [ voice and piano or guitar ], from Confiding, no. 2 [sung text not yet checked]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- FRE French (Français) (Guy Laffaille) , copyright © 2009, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- GER German (Deutsch) (Bertram Kottmann) , copyright © 2018, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ITA Italian (Italiano) (Ferdinando Albeggiani) , "Rendi spazioso questo letto", copyright © 2008, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Emily Ezust [Administrator]
This text was added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Line count: 8
Word count: 34
Rendi spazioso questo letto preparalo con reverenza e timore; In esso attendi, finché il giudizio irrompa Imparziale e solenne. Sia spianato il materasso, il cuscino ben riposto; e che il giallo fragore dell'alba non disturbi questo posto.
- Translation from English to Italian (Italiano) copyright © 2008 by Ferdinando Albeggiani, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
- a text in English by Emily Dickinson (1830 - 1886), no title, appears in Poems by Emily Dickinson, first published 1891
This text was added to the website: 2008-01-04
Line count: 8
Word count: 37