Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
[Más]1 cerca de mí te siento Cuanto más huyo de tí, Pues tu imágen es en mí Sombra de mi pensamiento.
About the headline (FAQ)View original text (without footnotes)
Confirmed with Obras Escogidas de D. Ramon de Campoamor (de la Academia Española). Tomo I. Ternezas y Flores. -- Sonetos. -- Fábulas. -- Cantares. -- Doloras, Leipzig, F. A. Brockhaus, 1885, page 144.
Note: modern spelling would require changing "cuanto" to "cuando"1 Turina: "¡Ay! Más"
- by Ramòn Maria de las Mercedes de Campoamor y Campoosorio (1817 - 1901), no title, appears in Cantares, in Amorosos, no. 8 [author's text checked 1 time against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Julio Osma (d. 1938), "Màs cerca de mí te siento", from Cantares de mi tierra, no. 1 [sung text checked 1 time]
This text (or a part of it) is used in a work
- by Joaquín Turina (1882 - 1949), "Cantares", op. 19 no. 3 (1917), published 1923 [ soprano and piano or orchestra ], from Poema en forma de canciones, no. 3, Madrid: UME
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Emily Ezust) , copyright © 2015
- FRE French (Français) (Guy Laffaille) , copyright © 2017, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- GER German (Deutsch) (Bertram Kottmann) , copyright © 2021, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Emily Ezust [Administrator]
This text was added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Line count: 4
Word count: 21
I feel closer to you The more I run from you, For your image haunts The very shadow of my thoughts.
About the headline (FAQ)
Translation of title "Cantares" = "Songs"
- Translation from Spanish (Español) to English copyright © 2015 by Emily Ezust
Emily Ezust permits her translations to be reproduced without prior permission for printed (not online) programs to free-admission concerts only, provided the following credit is given:
Translation copyright © by Emily Ezust,
from the LiederNet Archive -- https://www.lieder.net/
For any other purpose, please write to the e-mail address below to request permission and discuss possible fees.
- a text in Spanish (Español) by Ramòn Maria de las Mercedes de Campoamor y Campoosorio (1817 - 1901), no title, appears in Cantares, in Amorosos, no. 8
This text was added to the website: 2015-02-20
Line count: 4
Word count: 21