Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
Den Wirbel schlag' ich gar so stark, Daß euch erzittert Bein und Mark, Drum denk' ich ans schön Schätzelein, Blaugrau, Blau, Blaugrau, Blau Ist seiner Augen Schein. Und denk' ich an den Schein so hell, Von selber dämpft das Trommelfell, Den wilden Ton, klingt hell und rein: Blaugrau, Blau, Blaugrau, Blau Sind Liebchens Äugelein.
- by Karl August Candidus (1817 - 1872), "Tambourliedchen" [author's text checked 1 time against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Johannes Brahms (1833 - 1897), "Tambourliedchen", op. 69 (Neun Gesänge) no. 5, published 1877 [voice and piano], Berlin, Simrock [text verified 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Leonard J[ordan] Lehrman) , title 1: "Little drum song", copyright © 1996, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ITA Italian (Italiano) (Amelia Maria Imbarrato) , title 1: "Canzoncina del tamburino", copyright © 2008, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- DUT Dutch (Nederlands) [singable] (Lau Kanen) , title 1: "Tamboerliedje", copyright © 2014, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Guy Laffaille) , title 1: "Petite chanson du tambour", copyright © 2013, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Emily Ezust [Administrator]
This text was added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Line count: 16
Word count: 54
Faccio un rullo di tamburo così forte che vi tremano le gambe fino al midollo, perché penso al mio bel tesoro. Grigioazzurra, azzurra, grigioazzurra, azzurra è la luce dei suoi occhi. E se penso a quella luce così chiara, da sola smorza la pelle del tamburo il suono violento, ma suona chiaro e puro. Grigioazzurri, azzurri, grigioazzurri, azzurri, sono gli occhi della mia cara.
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to Italian (Italiano) copyright © 2008 by Amelia Maria Imbarrato, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you must ask the copyright-holder(s) directly for permission. If you receive no response, you must consider it a refusal.
Amelia Maria Imbarrato. We have no current contact information for the copyright-holder.
If you wish to commission a new translation, please contact:
- a text in German (Deutsch) by Karl August Candidus (1817 - 1872), "Tambourliedchen"
This text was added to the website: 2008-04-11
Line count: 16
Word count: 64