Τιμάδος ἅδε κόνις, τὰν δη πρὸ γάμοιο θανοῦσαν δέξατο Φερσεφόνας κυάνεος θάλαμος, ἇς καὶ ἀποφθιμένας πᾶσαι νεοθᾶγι σιδάρῳ ἅλικες ἱμερτὰν κρατὸς ἔθεντο κόμαν.
About the headline (FAQ)
- by Sappho (flourished c610-c580 BCE) [author's text checked 1 time against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- [ None yet in the database ]
Settings in other languages, adaptations, or excerpts:
- Also set in English, a translation by Edwin Arlington Robinson (1869 - 1935) , "The dust of Timas", appears in Captain Craig, in Variations of Greek Themes, no. 6, first published 1902 FRE FRE ; composed by Frank Lewin.
- Also set in French (Français), a translation by Prosper Yraven [an adaptation] ENG ENG ENG ENG ; composed by Charles Gounod.
Other available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Henry Thornton Wharton)
- ENG English (Charles Isaac Elton, QC)
- ENG English (John Addington Symonds)
- FRE French (Français) (Ernest Falconnet) , "Épitaphe de la jeune Timas"
Researcher for this text: Guy Laffaille [Guest Editor]
This text was added to the website: 2011-06-29
Line count: 8
Word count: 23