Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
Fern und ferner schallt der Reigen. Wohl mir, um mich her ist Schweigen Auf der Flur. Zu dem vollen Herzen nur Will nicht Ruh' sich neigen. Horch! die Nacht schwebt durch die Räume, Ihr Gewand durchrauscht die Bäume Lispelnd leis'. Ach! so schweifen liebeheiß Meine Wünsch' und Träume.
Confirmed with Memorabilien der Zeit. Denkblätter der Liebe und Freundschaft. Dritte Sammlung, München, Druck und Verlag von Georg Franz, 1850, page 149, under the heading "October", entry number 5. No poet indicated.
- possibly by Johann Gustav Droysen (1808 - 1884) [author's text checked 1 time against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- misattributed to Felix Mendelssohn (1809 - 1847) and by Fanny Mendelssohn-Hensel (1805 - 1847), "Sehnsucht", op. 9 (Zwölf Lieder [nos. 7, 10, and 12 are by Fanny Mendelssohn-Hensel]) no. 7 [ voice and piano ], note: this was published in Felix Mendelssohn's opus [sung text checked 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- DUT Dutch (Nederlands) [singable] (Lau Kanen) , "Hunkering", copyright © 2017, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ENG English (Sharon Krebs) , "Longing", copyright © 2008, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Guy Laffaille) , "Nostalgie", copyright © 2014, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Emily Ezust [Administrator]
This text was added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Line count: 10
Word count: 48
The sounds of the dance fade farther and farther away. It is well for me that around me there is silence on the meadow. Only to my full heart peace does not want to come. Listen! Night is wafting through the spaces. [Night's] garments rustle through the trees, whispering softly. Ah, that is exactly how my wishes and dreams, Burning with love, roam about.
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to English copyright © 2008 by Sharon Krebs, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
This text was added to the website: 2008-06-25
Line count: 10
Word count: 64