Some of the following material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. Printing copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator is also illegal.
You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
For more information, contact us at:
Before writing, please read the instructions below the translations (under Authorship). Always include the names of the translators in your email if you wish to reprint something!
Fern und ferner schallt der Reigen. Wohl mir! um mich her ist Schweigen Auf der Flur. Zu dem vollen Herzen nur Will nicht Ruh' sich neigen. Horch! die Nacht schwebt durch die Räume. Ihr Gewand durchrauscht die Bäume Lispelnd leis'. Ach, so schweifen liebeheiß Meine Wünsch' und Träume.
- by Johann Gustav Droysen (1808 - 1884) [author's text not yet checked against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- misattributed to (Jakob Ludwig) Felix Mendelssohn Bartholdy (1809 - 1847) and by Fanny Mendelssohn-Hensel (1805 - 1847), "Sehnsucht", op. 9 (Zwölf Lieder [nos. 7, 10, and 12 are by Fanny Mendelssohn-Hensel]) no. 7 [voice and piano], note: this was published in Felix Mendelssohn's opus [ sung text verified 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Sharon Krebs) , title 1: "Longing", copyright © 2008, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Guy Laffaille) , title 1: "Nostalgie", copyright © 2014, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- DUT Dutch (Nederlands) [singable] (Lau Kanen) , title 1: "Hunkering", copyright © 2017, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Emily Ezust [Administrator]
Text added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Last modified: 2014-06-16 10:01:27
Line count: 10
Word count: 48
The sounds of the dance fade farther and farther away. It is well for me that around me there is silence on the meadow. Only to my full heart peace does not want to come. Listen! Night is wafting through the spaces. [Night's] garments rustle through the trees, whispering softly. Ah, that is exactly how my wishes and dreams, Burning with love, roam about.
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to English copyright © 2008 by Sharon Krebs, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
Text added to the website: 2008-06-25 00:00:00
Last modified: 2014-06-16 10:02:45
Line count: 10
Word count: 64