Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
Rote Rosenknospen künden schon des Lenzes Triebe. Rosenrote Wangen Deuten Mädchens erste Liebe. Kleiner roter Vogel, Flieg herab zur roten Rose! Bursche geht zum ros'gen Mädchen kosen.
About the headline (FAQ)
- by Hugo Conrat (1845 - 1906) [author's text not yet checked against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive):
- by Johannes Brahms (1833 - 1897), "Rote Rosenknospen", alternate title: "Rothe Rosenknospen", op. 112 (Sechs Quartette für S., A., T. und B. mit Pianoforte) no. 4 (1891), published 1892 [SATB quartet and piano], from the collection Vier Zigeunerlieder, no. 2, Leipzig, Peters [text verified 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Emily Ezust) , title 1: "Red rosebuds herald the arrival of Spring", copyright ©
- FRE French (Français) (Guy Laffaille) , title 1: "Les boutons de roses rouges", copyright © 2008, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ITA Italian (Italiano) (Ferdinando Albeggiani) , title 1: "Rossi boccioli di rosa", copyright © 2008, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- DUT Dutch (Nederlands) [singable] (Lau Kanen) , copyright © 2015, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Emily Ezust [Administrator]
This text was added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Line count: 8
Word count: 27
Les boutons de roses rouges Annoncent déjà l'arrivée du printemps. Les joues rouges comme des roses Montrent le premier amour de la jeune fille. Petit oiseau rouge, Envole-toi vers la rose rouge ! Le garçon va caresser la jeune fille qui rougit.
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to French (Français) copyright © 2008 by Guy Laffaille, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
This text was added to the website: 2008-07-24
Line count: 8
Word count: 42