Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
Daß ich dich verlohren habe, Daß du nicht mehr bist, Ach! daß hier in diesem Grabe Mein Anselmo ist, Das ist mein Schmerz! das ist mein Schmerz!!! Seht, [wie]1 liebten [uns, wir]2 beyde, Und, so lang' ich bin, kommt Freude Niemahls wieder in mein Herz.
About the headline (FAQ)View original text (without footnotes)
Confirmed with ASMUS omnia sua SECUM portans, oder Sämmtliche Werke des Wandsbecker Bothen, I. und II. Theil. Beym Verfasser, und in Commißion bey Fr. Perthes in Hamburg. , pages 21-22; and with Poetische Blumenlese auf das Jahr 1774. Göttingen und Gotha, bey Johann Christian Dieterich, page 163.
First published in Der Deutsche, sonst Wandsbecker Bothe. Ao. 1773. No. 140. Mittwochs, den 1sten September.1 Claudius (Musenalmanach): "wir"
2 Schubert: "wir uns"
- by Matthias Claudius (1740 - 1815), "Bey dem Grabe Anselmo's", written 1773, first published 1773 [author's text checked 1 time against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive):
- by Franz Peter Schubert (1797 - 1828), "Am Grabe Anselmos", op. 6 (Drei Lieder) no. 3, D 504 (1816), published 1821 [sung text checked 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- CAT Catalan (Català) (Salvador Pila) , copyright © 2018, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- DUT Dutch (Nederlands) [singable] (Lau Kanen) , "Aan het graf van Anselmo", copyright © 2007, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ENG English (Emily Ezust) , "By the grave of Anselmo", copyright ©
- FRE French (Français) (Guy Laffaille) , "Sur la tombe d'Anselmo", copyright © 2010, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ITA Italian (Italiano) (Ferdinando Albeggiani) , "Sulla tomba di Anselmo", copyright © 2008, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Research team for this text: Emily Ezust [Administrator] , Peter Rastl [Guest Editor]
This text was added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Line count: 8
Word count: 45
Che io ti abbia perduto, Che tu non ci sia ancora, Ah! Che qui, in questa tomba, Giaccia il mio caro Anselmo E' questo il mio tormento! Noi, lo sai, ci amavamo, e, finché avrò vita, la gioia non mi entrerà più in cuore.
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to Italian (Italiano) copyright © 2008 by Ferdinando Albeggiani, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
- a text in German (Deutsch) by Matthias Claudius (1740 - 1815), "Bey dem Grabe Anselmo's", written 1773, first published 1773
This text was added to the website: 2008-08-09
Line count: 8
Word count: 44