Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
Schön war, das ich dir weihte, das goldene Geschmeide, süß war der Laute Ton, die ich dir auserlesen; das Herze, das sie beide darbrachte, wert gewesen wär's, zu empfangen einen bessern Lohn.
About the headline (FAQ)
- by Georg Friedrich Daumer (1800 - 1875), appears in Polydora, ein weltpoetisches Liederbuch, first published 1855 [author's text checked 1 time against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Johannes Brahms (1833 - 1897), "Schön war, das ich dir weihte", op. 95 (Sieben Lieder für 1 hohe Stimme -- für 1 tiefe Stimme mit Pianoforte) no. 7 (1884), published 1884 [high voice or low voice and piano], Berlin, Simrock [text verified 1 time]
- by Emil Krause (1840 - 1916), "Schön war's dass ich Dir weihte", op. 51 (Drei Lieder für 1 Singstimme mit Pianoforte) no. 3, published 1885 [voice and piano], Hamburg, Hoffmann [text not verified]
Available translations, adaptations, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Emily Ezust) , title 1: "Fair was my gift to you", copyright ©
- ITA Italian (Italiano) (Ferdinando Albeggiani) , title 1: "Era bello...", copyright © 2008, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Pierre Mathé) , copyright © 2012, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- DUT Dutch (Nederlands) [singable] (Lau Kanen) , copyright © 2015, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Emily Ezust [Administrator]
This text was added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Line count: 7
Word count: 32
Era bello, ciò che a te consacrai: i gioielli d'oro. Era dolce il suono del liuto, che per te avevo scelto. Il cuore, che entrambi Li offerse, avrebbe ben meritato Di ricevere miglior ricompensa.
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to Italian (Italiano) copyright © 2008 by Ferdinando Albeggiani, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
- a text in German (Deutsch) by Georg Friedrich Daumer (1800 - 1875), appears in Polydora, ein weltpoetisches Liederbuch, first published 1855
This text was added to the website: 2008-08-21
Line count: 7
Word count: 34