Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
Novembre approche, -- et c'est le mois charmant Où, devinant ton âme à ton sourire, Je me suis pris à t'aimer vaguement, Sans rien dire. Novembre approche, -- ah! nous étions enfants, Mais notre amour fut beau comme un poème, -- Comme l'on fait des rêves triomphants, Lorsqu'on aime! -- Novembre approche, -- [assis au coin du feu, Malade et seul,]1 j'ai songé tout à l'heure A cet hiver où je croyais en Dieu, Et je pleure. Novembre approche, -- et c'est le mois béni Où tous les morts ont des fleurs sur leur pierre, Et moi je porte à mon rêve fini Sa prière.
About the headline (FAQ)Koechlin: "malade et seul, assis au coin du feu"
- by Paul Bourget (1852 - 1935), "Præterita", appears in La vie inquiète, in 1. Au bord de la mer [author's text checked 1 time against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Charles Koechlin (1867 - 1950), "Novembre", op. 22 (Quatre mélodies) no. 2 (1901) [sung text checked 1 time]
- by Francesco Paolo Tosti (1846 - 1916), "Novembre", 1902 [ medium voice and piano ] [sung text not yet checked]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Sharon Krebs) , "November", copyright © 2008, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Emily Ezust [Administrator]
This text was added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Line count: 16
Word count: 99
November is approaching, and it's the charming month When, divining your soul in your smile, I vaguely decided to love you Without saying anything . . . November is approaching, ah! we were children, But our love was as beautiful as a poem. Since one has triumphant dreams When one loves! November is approaching. Sick and alone, sitting beside the fire, I was reminded a little earlier Of that winter when I believed in God, And I weep. November is approaching, And it's the blessed month When all the dead have flowers on their gravestones. And I, I carry to my dead dream Its prayer.
- Translation from French (Français) to English copyright © 2008 by Sharon Krebs, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
- a text in French (Français) by Paul Bourget (1852 - 1935), "Præterita", appears in La vie inquiète, in 1. Au bord de la mer
This text was added to the website: 2008-09-03
Line count: 16
Word count: 105