Ihr schwarzen Augen, ihr dürft nur winken; Paläste fallen und Städte sinken. Wie sollte steh'n in solchem Strauß mein Herz, von Karten das schwache Haus?
About the headline (FAQ)
- by Georg Friedrich Daumer (1800 - 1875) [author's text not yet checked against a primary source]
- a text in Italian (Italiano) by Anonymous/Unidentified Artist, Sicilian [text unavailable]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Johannes Brahms (1833 - 1897), "Ihr schwarzen Augen, ihr dürft nur winken;", op. 65 no. 4 (1875), published 1875 [vocal quartet and piano four-hands or instrumental ensemble], from Neue Liebeslieder, no. 4, Berlin, Simrock [ sung text checked 1 time]
Settings in other languages, adaptations, or excerpts:
- Also set in German (Deutsch), a translation by Johann Wolfgang von Goethe (1749 - 1832) , "Sizilianisches Lied" FRE ; composed by Leo Grill, Wilhelm Killmayer, Friedrich von Wickede.
Other available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- CAT Catalan (Català) (Salvador Pila) , copyright © 2015, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- DUT Dutch (Nederlands) [singable] (Lau Kanen) , copyright © 2015, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ENG English (Emily Ezust) , "You black eyes, you need only beckon", copyright ©
- FIN Finnish (Suomi) (Erkki Pullinen) , copyright © 2017, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Pierre Mathé) , copyright © 2011, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ITA Italian (Italiano) (Ferdinando Albeggiani) , "Begli occhi scuri", copyright © 2012, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Mimi Ezust
Text added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Last modified: 2014-06-16 10:01:25
Line count: 4
Word count: 25