Some of the following material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. Printing copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator is also illegal.
You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
For more information, contact us at:
Before writing, please read the instructions below the translations (under Authorship). Always include the names of the translators in your email if you wish to reprint something!
Leicht, wie gaukelnde Sylphiden, Flattern süsser Schwärmereien Auf den süssen Rose bleiben Lose wie die Waidchen hin. Küsse diese, küsse jene, Küsse, küsse warm und heiss. Fessle flüchtig Alles Schöne Rasch in deinen Zauberkreis. In dem Spiel beseelten Träumen, Wiege, süsse Träumereien Über junge Blüten Keime Träumerisch dein Leben hin. Träume wie die Rosen währen, Wenn die Weste sie umwehn, Ach, die Wahrheit sind die Tränen Nur im Träumen lebt sich's schön.
Note (provided by Laura Prichard): this text was written for and the song composed for the married singer Agnus Carus.
- by Robert Schumann (1810 - 1856) [author's text checked 1 time against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Robert Schumann (1810 - 1856), "Lied für XXX", 1827, published 1984 [sung text checked 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- DUT Dutch (Nederlands) [singable] (Lau Kanen) , "Lied voor XXX", copyright © 2013, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ENG English (Laura Prichard) , "Song for XXX", copyright © 2020, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Guy Laffaille) , "Chant pour XXX", copyright © 2010, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Research team for this text: Ferdinando Albeggiani , Laura Prichard [Guest Editor]
Text added to the website: 2008-03-31 00:00:00
Last modified: 2020-01-03 22:18:25
Line count: 16
Word count: 72
Light, like enchanting fairies, Flutters sweet raptures Down onto sweet roses As delicate woad blossoms. Kiss this one, kiss that one, Kiss, kiss warmly and lovingly. Bind everything fleeting and beautiful Quickly into your fairy ring. In the play of inspired dreams, Sweet reveries sway Over young, sprouting seeds Dreaming your life away. Dreams persist like roses, When the West Wind caresses them, Alas, truth is found in tears: Only in dreams, is life itself so beautiful.
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to English copyright © 2020 by Laura Prichard, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
Text added to the website: 2020-01-03 00:00:00
Last modified: 2020-01-03 22:17:53
Line count: 16
Word count: 77