Some of the following material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. Printing copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator is also illegal.
You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
For more information, contact us at:
Before writing, please read the instructions below the translations (under Authorship). Always include the names of the translators in your email if you wish to reprint something!
Liebe Schwalbe, kleine Schwalbe, Trage fort mein kleines Briefchen! Flieg zur Höhe, fliege schnell aus, Flieg hinein in Liebchens Haus! Fragt man dich, woher du kommest, Wessen Bote du geworden, Sag, du kommst vom treusten Herzen, Das vergeht in Trennnungsschmerzen.
About the headline (FAQ)
- by Hugo Conrat (1845 - 1906) [author's text not yet checked against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Johannes Brahms (1833 - 1897), "Liebe Schwalbe, kleine Schwalbe", alternate title: "Liebe Schwalbe, kleine Schwalbe", op. 112 (Sechs Quartette für S., A., T. und B. mit Pianoforte) no. 6 (1891), published 1892 [SATB quartet and piano], from the collection Vier Zigeunerlieder, no. 4, Leipzig, Peters [text verified 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Emily Ezust) , title 1: "Dear swallow, little swallow", copyright ©
- FIN Finnish (Suomi) (Milla Valkeasuo) , title 1: "Rakas pääsky, pieni pääsky", copyright © 2008, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Guy Laffaille) , title 1: "Chère hirondelle, petite hirondelle", copyright © 2008, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ITA Italian (Italiano) (Ferdinando Albeggiani) , title 1: "Rondine cara, piccola rondine", copyright © 2008, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- DUT Dutch (Nederlands) [singable] (Lau Kanen) , copyright © 2015, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Emily Ezust [Administrator]
Text added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Last modified: 2015-12-17 12:09:49
Line count: 8
Word count: 40
Rondine cara, piccola rondine, porta lontano al mia piccola lettera! In alto vola, ed anche veloce, fino alla casa della mia amata! E se qualcuno ti chiede da dove vieni, e di chi sei messaggera, rispondi che vieni da un cuore fedele, che sta soffrendo per la separazione.
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to Italian (Italiano) copyright © 2008 by Ferdinando Albeggiani, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
Text added to the website: 2008-12-30 00:00:00
Last modified: 2014-06-16 10:03:02
Line count: 8
Word count: 48