Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
Wagen mußt du und flüchtig erbeuten, Hinter uns schon durch die Nacht hör' ich's schreiten, Schwing' auf mein Roß dich nur schnell Und küß' noch im Flug mich wildschönes Kind, Geschwind, Denn der Tod ist ein rascher Gesell.
About the headline (FAQ)
- by Josef Karl Benedikt von Eichendorff (1788 - 1857), no title, appears in Gedichte, in 1. Wanderlieder, in Der Soldat, no. 2 [author's text not yet checked against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Peter Cornelius (1824 - 1874), "Reiterlied", op. 12 (3 Männerchöre) no. 2 (1872-3). [TTBB chorus a cappella] [ sung text verified 1 time]
- by Hugo Wolf (1860 - 1903), "Der Soldat II", 1886-8 [voice and piano], from Eichendorff-Lieder, no. 6. [ sung text verified 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- CAT Catalan (Català) (Salvador Pila) , "El soldat II", copyright © 2014, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ENG English (Emily Ezust) , no title, copyright ©
- FRE French (Français) (Guy Laffaille) , "Le soldat", copyright © 2010, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Stéphane Goldet) (Pierre de Rosamel) , copyright © 2015, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ITA Italian (Italiano) (Ferdinando Albeggiani) , "Devi osare e rapidamente ottenere", copyright © 2008, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Emily Ezust [Administrator]
This text was added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Line count: 6
Word count: 38
Devi osare e rapidamente ottenere, dietro di noi nella notte già la sento avanzare, Balza veloce sul mio cavallo, e baciami ancora a volo mia bella scontrosa, ma fallo di corsa, perché la Morte è una compagna più lesta.
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to Italian (Italiano) copyright © 2008 by Ferdinando Albeggiani, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
- a text in German (Deutsch) by Josef Karl Benedikt von Eichendorff (1788 - 1857), no title, appears in Gedichte, in 1. Wanderlieder, in Der Soldat, no. 2
This text was added to the website: 2009-01-01
Line count: 6
Word count: 39