Poor little heart! Did they forget thee? Then dinna care! Then dinna care! Proud little heart! Did they forsake thee? Be debonair! Be debonair! Frail little heart! I would not break thee: Could'st credit me? Could'st credit me? Gay little heart! Like morning glory Thou'll wilted be; thou'll wilted be!
About the headline (FAQ)
- by Emily Dickinson (1830 - 1886), no title, appears in Poems by Emily Dickinson, first published 1896 [author's text checked 1 time against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Ernst Bacon (1898 - 1990), "Poor little heart!", 1940-44, published 1944 [ high voice and piano ], from Five Poems by Emily Dickinson, no. 3 [sung text not yet checked]
- by Robert F. Baksa (b. 1938), "Poor little heart!", published 1978 [ mezzo-soprano, piano ], from Emily Dickinson Songs, no. 11 [sung text not yet checked]
- by Clarence Dickinson (1873 - 1969), "Poor little heart!", published 1897 [ voice and piano ], from Six Songs [sung text not yet checked]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- GER German (Deutsch) (Bertram Kottmann) , no title, copyright © 2018, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Emily Ezust [Administrator]
This text was added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Line count: 12
Word count: 50