Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
Poor little heart! Did they forget thee? Then dinna care! Then dinna care! Proud little heart! Did they forsake thee? Be debonair! Be debonair! Frail little heart! I would not break thee: Could'st credit me? Could'st credit me? Gay little heart! Like morning glory Thou'll wilted be; thou'll wilted be!
About the headline (FAQ)
- by Emily Dickinson (1830 - 1886), no title, appears in Poems by Emily Dickinson, first published 1896 [author's text checked 1 time against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Ernst Bacon (1898 - 1990), "Poor little heart!", 1940-44, published 1944 [ high voice and piano ], from Five Poems by Emily Dickinson, no. 3 [sung text not yet checked]
- by Robert F. Baksa (b. 1938), "Poor little heart!", published 1978 [ mezzo-soprano, piano ], from Emily Dickinson Songs, no. 11 [sung text not yet checked]
- by Clarence Dickinson (1873 - 1969), "Poor little heart!", published 1897 [ voice and piano ], from Six Songs [sung text not yet checked]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- GER German (Deutsch) (Bertram Kottmann) , no title, copyright © 2018, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Emily Ezust [Administrator]
This text was added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Line count: 12
Word count: 50
Trauriges Herz! Vergaßen sie dich? Ärger dich nicht! Ärger dich nicht! Hoffärtig Herz! Verließen sie dich!? Hab Zuversicht! Hab Zuversicht! Fragiles Herz! Nie breche ich dich: Baust du auf mich? Baust du auf mich? Heiteres Herz! Wie Windengewächs welkst du dahin; welkst du dahin!
About the headline (FAQ)Translation of title "Poor little heart!" = "Trauriges Herz!"
- Translation from English to German (Deutsch) copyright © 2018 by Bertram Kottmann, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you must ask the copyright-holder(s) directly for permission. If you receive no response, you must consider it a refusal.
Bertram Kottmann.  Contact: BKottmann (AT) t-online.deIf you wish to commission a new translation, please contact:
- a text in English by Emily Dickinson (1830 - 1886), no title, appears in Poems by Emily Dickinson, first published 1896
This text was added to the website: 2018-06-22
Line count: 12
Word count: 44