Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
Mond verhüllt sein Angesicht, süßes Lieb, ich zürne dir nicht. Wollt ich zürnend dich betrüben, sprich wie könnt ich dich dann lieben? Heiß für dich mein Herz entbrennt, keine Zunge dir's bekennt. Bald in Liebesrausch unsinnig, bald wie Täubchen sanft und innig.
About the headline (FAQ)
- by Hugo Conrat (1845 - 1906) [author's text not yet checked against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Johannes Brahms (1833 - 1897), "Mond verhüllt sein Angesicht", op. 103 no. 10 (1887/8), published 1888 [ voice or SATB chorus, piano ], from Zigeunerlieder, no. 10, Berlin, Simrock [sung text checked 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- CAT Catalan (Català) (Salvador Pila) , copyright © 2014, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- DUT Dutch (Nederlands) [singable] (Lau Kanen) , copyright © 2014, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ENG English (Emily Ezust) , copyright © 2019
- FRE French (Français) (Guy Laffaille) , copyright © 2010, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ITA Italian (Italiano) (Ferdinando Albeggiani) , "Nasconde la luna il suo volto", copyright © 2009, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Ivo Zandhuis
This text was added to the website: 2005-08-16
Line count: 8
Word count: 42
Nasconde la luna il suo volto, mio dolce amore, non sono adirato con te. Se volessi affliggerti con la mia ira, dimmi Come potrei allora amarti davvero? Arde il mio cuore soltanto per te, di un sentimento che non posso confessarti a parole. Già sono ebbro d'amore, e come una colomba tenero e affettuoso.
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to Italian (Italiano) copyright © 2009 by Ferdinando Albeggiani, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
This text was added to the website: 2009-02-23
Line count: 8
Word count: 54