Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
Göttlicher Morpheus, umsonst bewegst du die lieblichen Mohne; Bleibt das Auge doch wach, wenn mir es Amor nicht schließt.
- by Johann Wolfgang von Goethe (1749 - 1832) [author's text not yet checked against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Johannes Brahms (1833 - 1897), "Göttlicher Morpheus, umsonst bewegst du", op. 113 no. 1, published 1891 [ vocal quartet of female voices ], from 13 Kanons für Frauenstimmen, no. 1, Leipzig, Peters [sung text checked 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- DUT Dutch (Nederlands) [singable] (Lau Kanen) , "Godd'lijke Morpheus, vergeefs beweeg je", copyright © 2015, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ENG English (Laura Prichard) , "Divine Morpheus, in vain you stir up", copyright © 2020, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Guy Laffaille) , "Divin Morphée, tu agites en vain les charmants pavots", copyright © 2015, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ITA Italian (Italiano) (Ferdinando Albeggiani) , "Morfeo divino, invano agiti i leggiadri papaveri", copyright © 2009, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Emily Ezust [Administrator]
This text was added to the website: 2005-08-29
Line count: 2
Word count: 19
Morfeo divino, invano agiti i leggiadri papaveri; Restano aperti gli occhi, se non me li chiude Amore.
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to Italian (Italiano) copyright © 2009 by Ferdinando Albeggiani, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
This text was added to the website: 2009-03-12
Line count: 2
Word count: 17