Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
Vues des Anges, les cimes des arbres peut-être sont des racines, buvant les cieux; et dans le sol, les profondes racines d'un hêtre leur semblent des faîtes silencieux. Pour eux, la terre, n'est-elle point transparente en face d'un ciel, plein comme un corps? Cette terre ardente, où se lamente auprès des sources l'oubli des morts.
About the headline (FAQ)
- by Rainer Maria Rilke (1875 - 1926), no title, written 1924-5, appears in Poèmes en langue française, in Vergers, no. 38, first published 1926 [author's text checked 1 time against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
Available translations, adaptations, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Bertram Kottmann) , title 1: "Seen by Angels", copyright © 2009, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- GER German (Deutsch) (Bertram Kottmann) , title 1: "Engelsschau", copyright © 2009, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Emily Ezust [Administrator]
This text was added to the website: 2008-09-06
Line count: 8
Word count: 55
Seen by Angels, the tops of the trees perhaps are roots, absorbing heavens; the deep roots of a beech seem silent peaks to them. For them - the earth - isn't she transparent compared to a fraught sky? This ardent earth, where they lament near the springs the oblivion of the dead.
- Translation from French (Français) to English copyright © 2009 by Bertram Kottmann, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you must ask the copyright-holder(s) directly for permission. If you receive no response, you must consider it a refusal.
Bertram Kottmann.  Contact: BKottmann (AT) t-online.deIf you wish to commission a new translation, please contact:
- a text in French (Français) by Rainer Maria Rilke (1875 - 1926), no title, written 1924-5, appears in Poèmes en langue française, in Vergers, no. 38, first published 1926
This text was added to the website: 2009-05-09
Line count: 8
Word count: 52