Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
Wir wandelten, wir zwei zusammen, ich war so still und du so stille, ich gäbe viel, um zu erfahren, was du gedacht in jenem Fall. Was ich gedacht, unausgesprochen verbleibe das! Nur Eines sag' ich: So schön war alles, was ich dachte, so himmlisch heiter war es all'. In meinem Haupte die Gedanken, sie läuteten wie gold'ne Glöckchen: so wundersüß, so wunderlieblich ist in der Welt kein and'rer Hall.
- by Georg Friedrich Daumer (1800 - 1875), appears in Polydora, ein weltpoetisches Liederbuch, first published 1855 [author's text checked 1 time against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Johannes Brahms (1833 - 1897), "Wir wandelten", op. 96 (Vier Lieder für 1 Singstimme mit Pianoforte) no. 2 (1884), published 1886 [voice and piano], Berlin, Simrock [text verified 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Emily Ezust) , title 1: "We wandered", copyright ©
- ITA Italian (Italiano) (Marco Giustini) , title unknown, copyright © 2009, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Pierre Mathé) , title unknown, copyright © 2012, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- HEB Hebrew (עברית) (Max Mader) , title 1: "טיילנו", copyright © 2014, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- SPA Spanish (Español) (Elena María Accinelli) , title unknown, copyright © 2014, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- DUT Dutch (Nederlands) [singable] (Lau Kanen) , title 1: "Wij wandelden", copyright © 2015, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Emily Ezust [Administrator]
This text was added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Line count: 12
Word count: 69
Passeggiavamo, noi due insieme, Io ero così tranquillo e tu così tranquilla, Darei molto per sapere A cosa tu pensassi in quel momento. A cosa io pensassi, che rimanga inespresso! Dirò solo una cosa: Così bello era ciò a cui pensavo, Era tutto di una serenità celestiale. Nella mia testa i pensieri Risuonavano come campanelli d'oro Così meravigliosamente dolci e soavi Che al mondo non v'è un'eco simile.
About the headline (FAQ)
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to Italian (Italiano) copyright © 2009 by Marco Giustini, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
- a text in German (Deutsch) by Georg Friedrich Daumer (1800 - 1875), appears in Polydora, ein weltpoetisches Liederbuch, first published 1855
This text was added to the website: 2009-05-24
Line count: 12
Word count: 68