Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
Solche Bücher läßt du drucken! Teurer Freund, du bist verloren! Willst du Geld und Ehre haben, Mußt du dich gehörig ducken. Nimmer hätt ich dir geraten, So zu sprechen vor dem Volke, So zu sprechen von den Pfaffen Und von hohen Potentaten! Teurer Freund, du bist verloren! Fürsten haben lange Arme, Pfaffen haben lange Zungen, Und das Volk hat lange Ohren!
About the headline (FAQ)
- by Heinrich Heine (1797 - 1856), "Warnung", appears in Neue Gedichte, in Zeitgedichte, no. 3 [author's text not yet checked against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by David Leonard Blake (b. 1936), "Warnung", published 1981 [high voice and instrumental ensemble (11 instruments)], from From the mattress grave : a cycle of twelve songs to poems by Heine, no. 2, also set in English by Peter Palmer [text verified 1 time]
- by Reiner Bredemeyer (1929 - 1995), "Warnung", 1972, published 1976 [voice (speaker), guitar, and instrumental ensemble ad libitum], from Heine-Lieder: 15 Lieder, no. 1. [text not verified]
- by Hans Martin Gräbner (b. 1967), "Warnung", 2011 [voice and piano], from Drei mal Drei Lieder nach Tucholsky, Heine und Goethe, no. 4. [text verified 1 time]
- by Peter Janssens (b. 1934), "Solche Bücher: aus Zeitgedichte: Warnung", published 1976, from Heinrich Heine Song Buch, no. 13. [text not verified]
- by Georg Katzer (b. 1935), "Gedicht Nr. 3 (Zeitgedichte)", 1986?, published 1989 [high voice and piano], from 5 neue Heine-Lieder, no. 4. [text not verified]
Available translations, adaptations, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English [singable] (Peter Palmer) , title 1: "Warning", copyright © 2009, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Emily Ezust [Administrator]
This text was added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Line count: 12
Word count: 61
Fancy printing such opinions! Dearest friend, it spells disaster! Fame and riches come to those who Touch their forelocks, act like minions. Never should a man of letters Thus enlighten all the people, Tell the world about the clergy And about our lofty betters! Dearest friend, it spells disaster! Princes have long arms to seize you, Parsons have long tongues to damn you, And the world obeys its master!
- Singable translation from German (Deutsch) to English copyright © 2009 by Peter Palmer, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
- a text in German (Deutsch) by Heinrich Heine (1797 - 1856), "Warnung", appears in Neue Gedichte, in Zeitgedichte, no. 3
This text was added to the website: 2009-06-10
Line count: 12
Word count: 69