Some of the following material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. Printing copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator is also illegal.
You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
For more information, contact us at:
Before writing, please read the instructions below the translations (under Authorship). Always include the names of the translators in your email if you wish to reprint something!
Dich, Mutter Gottes, ruf' wir an, bitt' für uns, Maria! Tu' uns in Ängsten nicht verlan, Jesum, dein Sohn, der Not ermahn, die er um menschlich Geschlecht wollte han, bitt' für uns, Maria! Dass wir vollkommen werden gar, bitt für uns, Maria! Leib, Ehr' und Gut auf Erd' bewahr', dass wir in Zeit viel guter Jahr' dort leben mit der Engel Schar, bitt' für uns, Maria! Du bist der Brunn, der nicht verseicht, bitt' für uns, Maria! Dass uns der heilig Geist erleucht zu wahrer Reu und ganzer Beicht! Jesus, dein Sohn, dir nicht verzeicht, bitt' für uns, Maria!
- from Volkslieder (Folksongs) , appears in Des Knaben Wunderhorn [author's text not yet checked against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Johannes Brahms (1833 - 1897), "Ruf zur Maria", op. 22 no. 5 (1859), published 1862 [mixed chorus], from Marienlieder, no. 5, Leipzig, Rieter-Biedermann [text verified 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ITA Italian (Italiano) (Giovanni Duci) , title 1: "Invocazione a Maria", copyright ©, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ENG English (Linda Godry) , title 1: "Implore to Mary", copyright © 2009, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Pierre Mathé) , title 1: "Invocations à Marie", copyright © 2013, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- DUT Dutch (Nederlands) [singable] (Lau Kanen) , title 1: "Aanroeping tot Maria", copyright © 2014, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Emily Ezust [Administrator]
Text added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Last modified: 2014-06-16 10:01:25
Line count: 18
Word count: 99
To you, mother of God, we call, Pray for us, Mary! Don't leave us alone in our sorrows, do remind Jesus, your son, of the agony he went through On behalf of mankind. Pray for us, Mary! In our strivings for perfection, Pray for us, Mary! Save our body, honour and earthly goods So that we, after many good years Can live together with the angels, Pray for us, Mary! You are the well that never runs dry, Pray for us, Mary! That the Holy Spirit may enlighten us to true repentance and complete confession! Jesus, your son would want you to Pray for us, Mary!
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to English copyright © 2009 by Linda Godry, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
- a text in German (Deutsch) from Volkslieder (Folksongs) , appears in Des Knaben Wunderhorn
Text added to the website: 2009-07-26 00:00:00
Last modified: 2014-06-16 10:03:18
Line count: 18
Word count: 106