Schlafe, schlafe, holder, süßer Knabe, Leise wiegt dich deiner Mutter Hand; Sanfte Ruhe, milde Labe Bringt dir schwebend dieses Wiegenband. Schlafe, schlafe in dem süßen Grabe, Noch beschützt dich deiner Mutter Arm. Alle Wünsche, alle Habe Faßt sie liebend, alle liebwarm. Schlafe, schlafe in der Flaumen Schoße, Noch umtönt dich lauter Liebeston; Eine Lilie, eine Rose, Nach dem Schlafe werd' sie dir zum Lohn.
Note: according to Snyder's German Poetry in Song: An Index of Lieder, this poem is often misattributed to Claudius but it is not to be found in his works. This may be due to the similarity of its first line with that of this poem.
The text to Alois Melichar's arrangement of Schubert's melody can be found here.
- by Anonymous / Unidentified Author [author's text not yet checked against a primary source]
- sometimes misattributed to Matthias Claudius (1740 - 1815)
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Franz Peter Schubert (1797 - 1828), "Wiegenlied", op. 98 (Drei Lieder) no. 2, D 498 (1816), published 1829 [ voice and piano ] [sung text checked 1 time]
- by (Karl Gottfried) Wilhelm Taubert (1811 - 1891), "Wiegenlied", op. 124 no. 8, published 1860 [ voice and piano ], from Klänge aus der Kinderwelt, Heft VII, no. 8, Berlin, Bahn [sung text not yet checked]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- CAT Catalan (Català) (Salvador Pila) , "Cançó de bressol", copyright © 2018, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- DUT Dutch (Nederlands) [singable] (Lau Kanen) , "Wiegelied", copyright © 2006, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ENG English [singable] (Linda Godry) , "Lullaby", copyright © 2007, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Guy Laffaille) , "Berceuse", copyright © 2010, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- IRI Irish (Gaelic) [singable] (Gabriel Rosenstock) , "Suantraí", copyright © 2014, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ITA Italian (Italiano) (Antonio Zencovich) , "Ninna nanna", copyright © 2014, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- SPA Spanish (Español) (Lewis Grenville) , "Canción de cuna", copyright © 2011, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Research team for this text: Richard Morris , Peter Rastl [Guest Editor]
This text was added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Line count: 12
Word count: 64