Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
Da quel sembiante appresi A [sospirare amante]1; Sempre per quel sembiante Sospirero [d'amor]2. La face, a cui m'accesi [Sola]3 m'alletta e piace; È fredda [ogni]4 altra face Per riscaldarmi il [cor]5.
About the headline (FAQ)View original text (without footnotes)
Confirmed with Tutte le opere di Pietro Metastasio, Firenze, Tipografia Borghi e compagni 1832, page 395.
The text appears in L'Eroe cinese, atto I, scena III (Lisinga's aria).1 Schubert: "sospirar d'amore"
2 Schubert: "d'amore"
3 Schubert: "Solo"
4 Schubert: "ogn'"
5 Schubert: "cuore"
- by Pietro Antonio Domenico Bonaventura Trapassi (1698 - 1782), as Pietro Metastasio, no title, written 1752, appears in L'Eroe cinese [author's text checked 1 time against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive):
- by Franz Danzi (1763 - 1826), "Da quel sembiante appresi", op. 16, Heft 1 no. 6, P 191 no. 6, published 1803 [ chorus and piano ], Leipzig [sung text not yet checked]
- by Franz Peter Schubert (1797 - 1828), "Da quel sembiante appresi", D 688 no. 3 (1820), published 1871 [sung text checked 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- CAT Catalan (Català) (Salvador Pila) , "D’aquell rostre he après", copyright © 2017, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ENG English (Laura Prichard) , "From that countenance I learned", copyright © 2015, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Guy Laffaille) , "De quelle forme j'ai appris", copyright © 2010, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Research team for this text: Richard Morris , Peter Rastl [Guest Editor]
This text was added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Line count: 8
Word count: 31
De quelle forme j'ai appris À soupirer d'amour, Toujours pour cette forme Je soupirerai d'amour. Le feu qui me brûle Lui seul me séduit et me plaît, Et tout autre feu est trop froid Pour me réchauffer le cœur.
- Translation from Italian (Italiano) to French (Français) copyright © 2010 by Guy Laffaille, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
- a text in Italian (Italiano) by Pietro Antonio Domenico Bonaventura Trapassi (1698 - 1782), as Pietro Metastasio, no title, written 1752, appears in L'Eroe cinese
This text was added to the website: 2010-02-17
Line count: 8
Word count: 39