Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
Komm' heil'ger Geist! erhöre unser Flehen, Die sehnend auf zu dir, zu dir Verheißnem sehen. Herab [auf]1 uns komm, Tröster du, In unser Herz leg' Himmelsruh'. O komm zu stärken unsern Glaubensmuth, Verlaß auf unserm Pfad uns nicht, Du Bote aus [des Himmels Licht]2, Und leite uns zu dem, was recht und gut!
Note: This is the text from Schubert's manuscript. The first edition of Schubert's Hymnus an den heiligen Geist, published as op. posth. 154 by Anton Diabelli in 1849, conveys a rather different text.1 Schubert (in the repetition): "zu"
2 Schubert (Alte Gesamtausgabe): "dem Himmelslicht"
- possibly by Adolf Anton Schmidl (1802 - 1863) [author's text not yet checked against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Franz Peter Schubert (1797 - 1828), "Hymnus an den heiligen Geist", D 941 [ ttbb quartet and ttbb chorus ], note: D. 941 has been removed and included as the first version in D. 948 [sung text checked 1 time]
- by Franz Peter Schubert (1797 - 1828), "Hymnus an den heiligen Geist", D 964, note: D. 964 has been removed and included as the second version in D. 948 [sung text checked 1 time]
Set in a modified version by Franz Peter Schubert.
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- CAT Catalan (Català) (Salvador Pila) , "Himne a l’Esperit Sant", copyright © 2019, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ENG English (Malcolm Wren) , "Hymn to the holy spirit", copyright © 2020, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Research team for this text: Guy Laffaille [Guest Editor] , Peter Rastl [Guest Editor]
This text was added to the website: 2011-11-06
Line count: 8
Word count: 53
Come, holy spirit! listen to our prayers Which rise with longing to you, to you in accordance with your promise. Come down to us, you comforter, Instill the peace of heaven in our hearts. Oh come to strengthen the courage of our faith, Do not abandon us on our path, You ambassador from the light of heaven, And lead us to what is right and good!
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to English copyright © 2020 by Malcolm Wren, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
This text was added to the website: 2020-06-09
Line count: 8
Word count: 66