Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
Hier ist Friede. Hier weine ich mich aus über alles! Hier löst sich mein unfaßbares, unermeßliches Leid, das mir die Seele verbrennt ... Siehe, hier sind keine Menschen, keine Ansiedlungen. Hier ist Friede! Hier tropft Schnee leise in Wasserlachen ...
- by Richard Engländer (1859 - 1919), as Peter Altenberg [author's text not yet checked against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Alban Maria Johannes Berg (1885 - 1935), "Hier ist Friede", from Fünf Orchesterlieder nach Ansichtskartentexten von Peter Altenberg, no. 5. [text verified 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Anne Ozorio) , title 1: "Here's Peace. Here I can cry my heart out.", copyright ©, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Guy Laffaille) , title unknown, copyright © 2009, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ITA Italian (Italiano) (Ferdinando Albeggiani) , title 1: "La pace abita qui", copyright © 2010, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Jeroen Scholten
This text was added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Line count: 5
Word count: 40
La pace abita qui. Qui sopra ogni cosa io libero il pianto! Qui si scioglie il mio inconcepibile, smisurato dolore, che l'anima tutta mi brucia... Vedi, qui non ci sono persone, né dimore. La pace abita qui! Qui lentamente la neve si scioglie nelle pozze...
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to Italian (Italiano) copyright © 2010 by Ferdinando Albeggiani, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
- a text in German (Deutsch) by Richard Engländer (1859 - 1919), as Peter Altenberg
This text was added to the website: 2010-03-24
Line count: 5
Word count: 45