[Chi vuol aver]1 felice e lieto il core, non segua il crudo Amore, quel lusinghier che ancide, quando più scherza e ride; ma tema di beltà, di leggiadria l'aura fallace e ria. Al pregar non risponda, alla promessa non creda: e se s'appressa, fugga pur, che baleno è quel ch'alletta; né mai balena Amor, se non saetta.
About the headline (FAQ)View original text (without footnotes)
1 Monteverdi: "Chi vol haver"
- by Giovanni Battista Guarini (1538 - 1612) [author's text not yet checked against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Sigismondo d'India (1582? - 1629?), "Chi vuol aver felice", 1615, from Il Terzo Libro de Madrigali, no. 17. [ sung text verified 1 time]
- by Claudio Monteverdi (1567 - 1643), "Chi vol haver felice e lieto il core", published 1638 [vocal quintet], from Libro VIII: Madrigali guerrieri e amorosi, no. 17, a 5 voci, cantato a voce piena, alla francese [ sung text verified 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (unknown or anonymous translator) , "If you wish your heart to be happy and gay"
- FRE French (Français) (Guy Laffaille) , copyright © 2018, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: John Versmoren
This text was added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Line count: 10
Word count: 57
If you wish your heart to be happy and gay, do not pursue cruel Love, which seduces and then kills you even as it jokes and laughs. Watch out, and fear instead the evil, deceptive appearance of beauty and good looks. Don't listen to Love's prayers or promises: don't believe them. And if it approaches you, run away; it's just an enticing, fleeting flash. Love never flashes without piercing you with its arrows.
- Translation from Italian (Italiano) to English by unknown or anonymous translator
This text was added to the website: 2010-04-09
Line count: 10
Word count: 73