Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
Bind me -- I still can sing Banish -- my mandolin Strikes true within --. Slay -- and my Soul shall rise Chanting to Paradise -- Still thine.
About the headline (FAQ)
- by Emily Dickinson (1830 - 1886), no title, appears in Bolts of Melody [author's text checked 1 time against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Gloria Coates (b. 1938), "Bind me - I still can sing", from 15 Songs on Poems by Emily Dickinson, no. 12. [text verified 1 time]
- by Libby Larsen (b. 1950), "Bind me - I still can sing", 1999 [satb chorus a cappella], from By a departing light, no. 1. [text not verified]
- by Augusta Read Thomas (b. 1964), "Bind me -- I still can sing", 2002, first performed 2002 [solo soprano, SATB chorus and orchestra], from Chanting to Paradise, no. 5. [text verified 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations, and transliterations (if applicable):
- FRE French (Français) (Guy Laffaille) , copyright © 2010, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- GER German (Deutsch) (Bertram Kottmann) , title 1: "Fessle mich - kann dennoch singen", copyright © 2016, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Emily Ezust [Administrator]
This text was added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Line count: 6
Word count: 24
Attache-moi - Je peux encore chanter - Exile-moi - ma mandoline Sonne juste - à l'intérieur - Tue-moi - et mon Âme montera En chantant au Paradis - Encore tienne -
About the headline (FAQ)Translation of title "Bind me - I still can sing" = "Attache-moi - Je peux encore chanter"
- Translation from English to French (Français) copyright © 2010 by Guy Laffaille, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
- a text in English by Emily Dickinson (1830 - 1886), no title, appears in Bolts of Melody
This text was added to the website: 2010-07-20
Line count: 6
Word count: 31