Some of the following material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. Printing copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator is also illegal.
You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
For more information, contact us at:
Before writing, please read the instructions below the translations (under Authorship). Always include the names of the translators in your email if you wish to reprint something!
Bind me -- I still can sing Banish -- my mandolin Strikes true within --. Slay -- and my Soul shall rise Chanting to Paradise -- Still thine.
About the headline (FAQ)
- by Emily Dickinson (1830 - 1886), no title, appears in Bolts of Melody [author's text checked 1 time against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Gloria Coates (b. 1938), "Bind me - I still can sing", from 15 Songs on Poems by Emily Dickinson, no. 12. [text verified 1 time]
- by Libby Larsen (b. 1950), "Bind me - I still can sing", 1999 [satb chorus a cappella], from By a departing light, no. 1. [text not verified]
- by Augusta Read Thomas (b. 1964), "Bind me -- I still can sing", 2002, first performed 2002 [solo soprano, SATB chorus and orchestra], from Chanting to Paradise, no. 5. [text verified 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations, and transliterations (if applicable):
- FRE French (Français) (Guy Laffaille) , copyright © 2010, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- GER German (Deutsch) (Bertram Kottmann) , title 1: "Fessle mich - kann dennoch singen", copyright © 2016, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Emily Ezust [Administrator]
Text added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Last modified: 2014-06-16 10:01:26
Line count: 6
Word count: 24
Attache-moi - Je peux encore chanter - Exile-moi - ma mandoline Sonne juste - à l'intérieur - Tue-moi - et mon Âme montera En chantant au Paradis - Encore tienne -
About the headline (FAQ)Translation of title "Bind me - I still can sing" = "Attache-moi - Je peux encore chanter"
- Translation from English to French (Français) copyright © 2010 by Guy Laffaille, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
- a text in English by Emily Dickinson (1830 - 1886), no title, appears in Bolts of Melody
Text added to the website: 2010-07-20 00:00:00
Last modified: 2016-11-08 18:16:09
Line count: 6
Word count: 31