When she passed by me with quick steps, the end of her skirt touched me. From the unknown island of a heart came a sudden warm breath of spring. A flutter of a flitting touch brushed me and vanished in a moment, like a torn flower petal blown in the breeze. It fell upon my heart like a sigh of her body and whisper of her heart.
About the headline (FAQ)
Note: this is a prose selection, so the line-breaks are arbitrary.
- by Rabindranath Tagore (1861 - 1941), no title, appears in The Gardener, no. 22, first published 1913 [author's text checked 1 time against a primary source]
- a text in Bangla (Bengali) by Rabindranath Tagore (1861 - 1941) [text unavailable]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Karim Adam Al-Zand (b. 1970), "When she passed by me", 2004 [baritone and piano], from Tagore Love Songs, no. 2 [ sung text checked 1 time]
- by Karim Adam Al-Zand (b. 1970), "When she passed by me", 2004 [baritone and piano], from The Sky with All its Stars, no. 1 [ sung text not yet checked against a primary source]
- by Raymond Hanson (1913 - 1976), "When she passed by me", op. 39 no. 2 (1959/60) [tenor and piano], from Seven songs from The Gardener , no. 2 [ sung text not yet checked against a primary source]
Settings in other languages, adaptations, or excerpts:
- Also set in Czech (Čeština), a translation by Anonymous/Unidentified Artist ENG GER ; composed by Pavel Haas.
Other available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- GER German (Deutsch) (Bertram Kottmann) , "Als sie schnellen Schritts an mir vorüberglitt", copyright © 2015, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Emily Ezust [Administrator]
Text added to the website: 2010-11-05 00:00:00
Last modified: 2017-08-01 08:40:50
Line count: 9
Word count: 67