Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
Du darfst nicht meinen, ich hätte Furcht vor dir. Nur wenn du mit deinen scheuen Augen Glück begehrst und mir mit solchen zuckenden Händen wie mit Dolchen durch die Haare fährst, Und mein Kopf liegt an deinen Lenden: dann, du [Sünd'rin]1, beb' ich vor dir...
1 Schoenberg: "Wehrlose"
- by Richard Fedor Leopold Dehmel (1863 - 1920), "Mannesbangen", appears in Weib und Welt, first published 1896 [author's text checked 1 time against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Arnold Franz Walter Schoenberg (1874 - 1951), "Mannesbangen", 1894-1903, from 7 frühe Lieder, no. 6. [text verified 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations, and transliterations (if applicable):
- FRE French (Français) (Pierre Mathé) , title 1: "Craintes d'un homme", copyright © 2010, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ENG English (Michael P. Rosewall) , title 1: "Masculine fears", copyright © 2011, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Emily Ezust [Administrator]
This text was added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Line count: 11
Word count: 45
You cannot believe that I would be afraid of you. But when you, with your shy eyes, beg for happiness, and when you run those darting hands, like daggers, through my hair, And my head rests on your thighs: then, [helpless one], I tremble before you...
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to English copyright © 2011 by Michael P. Rosewall, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
- a text in German (Deutsch) by Richard Fedor Leopold Dehmel (1863 - 1920), "Mannesbangen", appears in Weib und Welt, first published 1896
This text was added to the website: 2011-01-07
Line count: 11
Word count: 46