Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
Wehe dem Fliehenden Welt hinaus ziehenden! - Fremde durchmessenden, Heimath vergessenden, Mutterhaus hassenden, Freunde verlassenden Folget kein Segen, ach! Auf ihren Wegen nach! Herze, das sehnende, Auge, das thränende, Sehnsucht, nie endende, Heimwärts sich wendende! Busen, der wallende, Klage, verhallende, Abendstern, blinkender, Hoffnungslos sinkender! Lüfte, Ihr säuselnden, Wellen sanft kräuselnden, Sonnenstrahl, eilender, Nirgend verweilender: Die mir mit Schmerze, ach! Dies treue Herze brach, - Grüßt von [dem]1 Fliehenden, Welt hinaus ziehenden!
Confirmed with Gedichte von Ludwig Rellstab. Erstes Bändchen. Berlin, bei Friedrich Laue. 1827, pages 118-119.1 Schubert (erroneously in autograph and first edition): "der"
- by Ludwig Rellstab (1799 - 1860), "In der Ferne" [author's text checked 1 time against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive):
- by Franz Peter Schubert (1797 - 1828), "In der Ferne", D 957 no. 6 (1828), published 1829 [ voice and piano ], from Schwanengesang, no. 6, Tobias Haslinger, VN 5370, Wien [sung text checked 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- CAT Catalan (Català) (Salvador Pila) , "A la llunyania", copyright © 2013, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- DUT Dutch (Nederlands) [singable] (Lau Kanen) , "In den vreemde", copyright © 2005, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ENG English (Knut W. Barde) , "From afar", copyright ©, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FIN Finnish (Suomi) (Erkki Pullinen) , "Kaukana", copyright © 2016, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Pierre Mathé) , "Au loin", copyright © 2008, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- GRE Greek (Ελληνικά) (Athanasios Papaisiou) , "Στην ξενιτιά", copyright © 2020, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ITA Italian (Italiano) (Amelia Maria Imbarrato) , "Lontano", copyright © 2005, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- KOR Korean (한국어/조선말) [singable] (곽명규 Myung-Kew Kwack) , "먼 곳에서", copyright © 2011, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- LIT Lithuanian (Lietuvių kalba) (Giedrius Prunskus) , "Tolumoje", copyright © 2022, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- NOR Norwegian (Bokmål) (Marianne Beate Kielland) , "I det fjerne", copyright © 2016, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- SPA Spanish (Español) (Saúl Botero Restrepo) , "En la lejanía", copyright © 2015, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Research team for this text: Emily Ezust [Administrator] , Peter Rastl [Guest Editor]
This text was added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Line count: 24
Word count: 71
괴롭다 도피는 세상을 등지는! 타향을 떠도는 고향집을 버린 가족마저 잃은 친구도 다 떠난 축복도 없는, 아! 저 혼자 가는 길! 마음은 타는데 두 눈은 젖는데 그리움 솟는데 고향집 생각에! 가슴은 끓는데 한숨 넘치는데 별빛 반짝이다 힘없이 꺼진다! 바람 스친 곳엔 물결이 남는데 쏟아진 햇볕은 머물지도 않네. 괴로움 준 이여! 내 맘 부서졌네. 내 소식 들으련, 세상 등졌다는!
- Singable translation from German (Deutsch) to Korean (한국어/조선말) copyright © 2011 by 곽명규 Myung-Kew Kwack, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you must ask the copyright-holder(s) directly for permission. If you receive no response, you must consider it a refusal.
곽명규 Myung-Kew Kwack.  Contact: autumnguy (AT) gmail (DOT) comIf you wish to commission a new translation, please contact:
This text was added to the website: 2011-03-29
Line count: 24
Word count: 57