Some of the following material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. Printing copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator is also illegal.
You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
For more information, contact us at:
Before writing, please read the instructions below the translations (under Authorship). Always include the names of the translators in your email if you wish to reprint something!
Alfonso: Schon wenn es beginnt zu tagen, wird in mir die Sehnsucht wach; Vögel fliegen, Wolken jagen und mein Herz will ihnen nach. Mittags lieg'ich an der Quelle an dem hellen Silberbach, Welle sendet er auf Welle und mein Herz eilt jeder nach. Seh'ich dann den Abend glühen und das Licht stirbt allgemach, möcht'ich mit der Sonne ziehen ihren gold'nen Strahlen nach. Nachts erglänzen tausend Sterne an des Himmels blauem Dach, mächtig zieht's mich in die Ferne ihrem süßen Schimmer nach. Und dann lispl'ich in die Saiten still ein Schmerz erpresstes Ach, schnell entflieht's in alle Weiten und mein Herze will ihm nach.
About the headline (FAQ)
- by Franz Adolf Friedrich von Schober (1796 - 1882) [author's text not yet checked against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Franz Peter Schubert (1797 - 1828), "Schon wenn es beginnt zu tagen
", D. 732 no. 5b (1821-2), from the opera [selections] Alfonso und Estrella, no. 5b, Act I; published posthumously [text verified 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations, and transliterations (if applicable):
- FRE French (Français) (Guy Laffaille) , title unknown, copyright © 2010, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ENG English (T. P. (Peter) Perrin) , title 1: "As soon as day begins to dawn", copyright © 2011, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- DUT Dutch (Nederlands) [singable] (Lau Kanen) , title 1: "Al zodra 't begint te dagen", copyright © 2011, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- SPA Spanish (Español) (Sergio Lorenzi) , title unknown, copyright © 2014, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Guy Laffaille [Guest Editor]
Text added to the website: 2010-02-05 00:00:00
Last modified: 2014-06-16 10:03:33
Line count: 21
Word count: 103
Alfonso: As soon as day begins to dawn, longing comes awake in me; birds take flight, clouds race, and my heart would follow them. At noon I lie by the wellspring of the bright silver brook; it puts forth wave after wave and my heart speeds after each. When then I see the evening glow and the light gradually dies, I would like to be drawn after the sun's golden rays. At night a thousand stars come out on heaven's canopy; the power of their sweet gleaming takes me far away. And over the string chords then I whisper a hushed "Alas" coerced by pain; it swiftly escapes to farthest space and my heart would follow it.
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to English copyright © 2011 by T. P. (Peter) Perrin, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
Text added to the website: 2011-03-30 00:00:00
Last modified: 2014-06-16 10:04:18
Line count: 21
Word count: 117