Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
Wenn die Wogen unten toben, Menschenwitz zuschanden wird, Weist mit feur'gen Zügen droben Heimwärts dich der Wogen Hirt. Sollst nach keinem andern fragen, Nicht zurückschaun nach dem Land, Faß das Steuer, laß das Zagen! Aufgerollt hat Gottes Hand Diese Wogen zum Befahren Und die Sterne, dich zu wahren.
About the headline (FAQ)
- by Josef Karl Benedikt von Eichendorff (1788 - 1857), "Schifferspruch", appears in Gedichte, in 6. Geistliche Gedichte [author's text checked 1 time against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Wilhelm Petersen (1890 - 1957), "Spruch", op. 44 no. 7, published 1956. [text not verified]
- by Hans Erich Pfitzner (1869 - 1949), "Schlussgesang", op. 28, Heft 3 no. 7 [soprano, alto, tenor, bass, and chorus], from Von deutscher Seele - Teil III - Der Liederteil, no. 7. [text verified 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ITA Italian (Italiano) (Ferdinando Albeggiani) , title 1: "Canto finale", copyright © 2009, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ENG English (Sharon Krebs) , title 1: "Sailor's maxim", copyright © 2011, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Pierre Mathé) , title unknown, copyright © 2015, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Emily Ezust [Administrator]
This text was added to the website: 2004-04-28
Line count: 10
Word count: 48
When the waves rage below, [When] mankind's cunning fails, With fiery gestures from above The shepherd of the waves shows you the way home. You should not ask for anyone else, [Should] not gaze back toward the land, Grasp the helm, leave off your apprehension! The hand of God has unfurled This wave so it may be sailed And [has set] the stars to preserve you.
Pfitzner's title in English: "Final song"
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to English copyright © 2011 by Sharon Krebs, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
- a text in German (Deutsch) by Josef Karl Benedikt von Eichendorff (1788 - 1857), "Schifferspruch", appears in Gedichte, in 6. Geistliche Gedichte
This text was added to the website: 2011-05-19
Line count: 10
Word count: 66