Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
Ich trage meine Minne Vor Wonne stumm Im Herzen und im Sinne Mit mir herum. Ja, daß ich dich gefunden, Du liebes Kind, Das freut mich alle [Stunde]1, Die mir beschieden sind. [Ob]2 auch der Himmel trübe, Kohlschwarz die Nacht, Hell leuchtet meiner Liebe Goldsonn'ge Pracht. Und [liegt]3 [die]4 Welt in Sünden, So tut mir's weh -- Die arge muß erblinden Vor deiner Unschuld Schnee.
About the headline (FAQ)View original text (without footnotes)
1 Strauss: "Tage"
2 Strauss: "Und ob"
3 note: sometimes appears incorrectly as "lügt" in some Strauss scores.
4 Strauss:"auch die"
- by Karl Friedrich Henckell (1864 - 1929), no title [author's text checked 1 time against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Richard Georg Strauss (1864 - 1949), "Ich trage meine Minne", op. 32 (Fünf Lieder) no. 1 (1896) [sung text checked 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- CAT Catalan (Català) (Salvador Pila) , "Porto el meu amor", copyright © 2019, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- DUT Dutch (Nederlands) [singable] (Lau Kanen) , "Geluk draag ik van ‘t minnen", copyright © 2014, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ENG English (Emily Ezust) , "I bear my love", copyright © 2016
- FRE French (Français) (Guy Laffaille) , "Je porte mon amour", copyright © 2011, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ITA Italian (Italiano) (Amelia Maria Imbarrato) , "Io porto il mio amore", copyright © 2005, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Emily Ezust [Administrator]
This text was added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Line count: 16
Word count: 64
I bear my love Silent with joy, In my heart and in my mind With me everywhere. Yes, that I have found you, Beloved one, Will delight me every [hour]1 That has been granted to me. [Though]2 the sky is gloomy, And the night is as black as coal, My love shines brightly, With the splendor of sunny gold. And although the world is full of sin, Which makes me sad, The evil must be blinded By your innocence, pure as snow.
1 Strauss: "day"
2 Strauss: "And though"
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to English copyright © 2016 by Emily Ezust
Emily Ezust permits her translations to be reproduced without prior permission for printed (not online) programs to free-admission concerts only, provided the following credit is given:
Translation copyright © by Emily Ezust,
from the LiederNet Archive -- https://www.lieder.net/
For any other purpose, please write to the e-mail address below to request permission and discuss possible fees.
This text was added to the website: 2016-09-29
Line count: 16
Word count: 82