Κρῆσσαί νύ ποτ’ ὦδ’ ἐμμελέως πόδεσσιν ὤρχηντ’ ἀπάλοισ’ ἀμφ’ ἐρόεντα βῶμον πόας τέρεν ἄνθος μάλακον μάτεισαι
About the headline (FAQ)
- by Sappho (flourished c610-c580 BCE) [author's text checked 1 time against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- [ None yet in the database ]
Settings in other languages, adaptations, or excerpts:
- Also set in English, a translation by Willis Barnstone (b. 1927) , copyright © 1967 FRE ITA RUS ; composed by Cindy McTee.
- Also set in Italian (Italiano), adapted by Salvatore Quasimodo (1901 - 1968) ENG ENG ENG FRE RUS ; composed by Luigi Dallapiccola.
- Also set in Russian (Русский), a translation by Vyacheslav Ivanovich Ivanov (1866 - 1949) , appears in Сапфо и Алкей (Sapfo i Alkej) [an adaptation] ENG ENG FRE ITA ; composed by Arthur Vincent Lourié.
Other available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Willis Barnstone) , copyright © 1967
- ENG English (Henry Thornton Wharton)
- FRE French (Français) (Guy Laffaille) , copyright © 2011, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ITA Italian (Italiano) (Salvatore Quasimodo)
Researcher for this text: Ferdinando Albeggiani
This text was added to the website: 2008-01-04
Line count: 3
Word count: 16