Some of the following material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. Printing copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator is also illegal.
You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
For more information, contact us at:
Before writing, please read the instructions below the translations (under Authorship). Always include the names of the translators in your email if you wish to reprint something!
Cavatina: Lukas Dem Druck' erlieget die Natur; welke Blumen, dürre Wiesen, trock'ne Quellen, alles zeigt der Hitze Wut, und kraftlos schmachten Mensch und Tier, am Boden hingestreckt.
- by Gottfried, Freiherr van Swieten (1733 - 1803) [author's text not yet checked against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by (Franz) Joseph Haydn (1732 - 1809), "Dem Druck' erlieget die Natur", Hob. XXI:3 no. 8c, first performed 1801 [tenor and orchestra], from Die Jahreszeiten, no. 8c, (Der Sommer) [text verified 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations, and transliterations (if applicable):
- FRE French (Français) (Guy Laffaille) , title 1: "La nature succombe sous la charge", copyright © 2012, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ITA Italian (Italiano) (Ferdinando Albeggiani) , title 1: "Sotto il peso dell'afa soccombe la Natura", copyright © 2012, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Emily Ezust [Administrator]
Text added to the website: 2012-01-05 00:00:00
Last modified: 2014-06-16 10:04:44
Line count: 6
Word count: 27
Cavatine : Lucas La nature succombe sous la charge ; Fleurs fanées, prairies sèches, Sources taries, tout montre la vaillance de la chaleur, Et sans force languissent les hommes Et les animaux, allongés par terre.
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to French (Français) copyright © 2012 by Guy Laffaille, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
Text added to the website: 2012-02-03 00:00:00
Last modified: 2014-06-16 10:04:45
Line count: 6
Word count: 35