Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
Weinet, sanfte Mädchen -- -- -- -- --! [Solange]1 Ihr weinet, tragt Ihr im traurigen Herzen die Welt! Weinet, sanfte Mädchen -- -- --. Haltet vor das bebende Antlitz die Hände -- -- -- Wenn ihr sie lächelnd senkt, Ist es zu Ende!
Confirmed with Peter Altenberg, „Traurigkeit“ in Jugend, Münchner Illustrierte Wochenschrift, Nr. 24 , 1900, page 403.1 Berg: "So lang"
- by Richard Engländer (1859 - 1919), as Peter Altenberg, "Traurigkeit" [author's text checked 1 time against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Alban Maria Johannes Berg (1885 - 1935), "Traurigkeit", 1906 [voice and piano], from the collection Jugendlieder, Vol. II (1904-08), no. 54. [text verified 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations, and transliterations (if applicable):
- NOR Norwegian (Bokmål) (Marianne Beate Kielland) , title 1: "Tristhet", copyright © 2012, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ENG English (Sharon Krebs) , title 1: "Sadness", copyright © 2014, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Research team for this text: Virginia Knight , Sharon Krebs [Guest Editor]
This text was added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Line count: 6
Word count: 34
Gråt, sarte kvinne...! Så lenge hun gråter, bærer hun verden i sitt triste hjerte! Gråt, sarte kvinne! Hold hendene foran ditt skjelvende åsyn. Når hun smilende senker dem, er det hele over.
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to Norwegian (Bokmål) copyright © 2012 by Marianne Beate Kielland, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
- a text in German (Deutsch) by Richard Engländer (1859 - 1919), as Peter Altenberg, "Traurigkeit"
This text was added to the website: 2012-02-23
Line count: 5
Word count: 32