Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
Von der Last des Gedankens und der Seele befreit, Mädchen, Singt Deine Jugend in Dir sich ein Lied! Süßes, [einfältiges]1 Tönen der Hirtenflöte, oh Wunder -- -- Gebunden wieder trägst Du in Dir alles Sehnen und Denken der Spielerin!
Confirmed with Peter Altenberg, „Traurigkeit“ in Jugend, Münchner Illustrierte Wochenschrift, Nr. 24 , 1900, page 402.1 Berg: "einfält'ges"
- by Richard Engländer (1859 - 1919), as Peter Altenberg, "Flötenspielerin" [author's text checked 1 time against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Alban Maria Johannes Berg (1885 - 1935), "Flötenspielerin", 1906 [voice and piano], from the collection Jugendlieder, Vol. II (1904-08), no. 56. [text verified 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations, and transliterations (if applicable):
- FRE French (Français) (Guy Laffaille) , title 1: "La flûtiste", copyright © 2011, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- NOR Norwegian (Bokmål) (Marianne Beate Kielland) , title 1: "Fløytespiller", copyright © 2012, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ENG English (Sharon Krebs) , title 1: "The flute player", copyright © 2012, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Research team for this text: Virginia Knight , Sharon Krebs [Guest Editor]
This text was added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Line count: 4
Word count: 37
Freed from the burden of thoughts and of the soul, maiden, Your youthfulness sings a song within you! Sweet, innocent sounding of the shepherd's flute, oh wonder -- -- Entranced, you again carry within you all the yearning and thoughts of the player.
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to English copyright © 2012 by Sharon Krebs, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
- a text in German (Deutsch) by Richard Engländer (1859 - 1919), as Peter Altenberg, "Flötenspielerin"
This text was added to the website: 2012-09-02
Line count: 4
Word count: 41