Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
Guten Abend, gut' Nacht, Von Englein bewacht. Die zeigen im Traum Dir Christkindleins Baum [Droben im Paradies Schlaf nun selig uns süß]1.
About the headline (FAQ)View original text (without footnotes)
1 Brahms, Ives: "Schlaf nun selig und süß, / Schau im Traum's Paradies"
- by Georg Scherer (1824 - 1909), written 1849 [author's text checked 1 time against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- [ None yet in the database ]
This text (or a part of it) is used in a work
- by Johannes Brahms (1833 - 1897), "Wiegenlied", op. 49 (Fünf Lieder für eine Singstimme mit Begleitung des Pianoforte) no. 4 (1868), published 1868, first performed 1869 [voice and piano], Berlin, Simrock
- by Charles Edward Ives (1874 - 1954), "Wiegenlied", 1900?
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- DUT Dutch (Nederlands) [singable] (Lau Kanen) , "Goedenavond, goedenacht", copyright © 2012, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ENG English (Emily Ezust) , "Good evening, good night", copyright ©
- FRE French (Français) (Pierre Mathé) , "Bonsoir, bonne nuit", copyright © 2012, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ITA Italian (Italiano) (Amelia Maria Imbarrato) , "Buonasera, buonanotte", copyright © 2008, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- POR Portuguese (Português) (Axel Bergstedt) , copyright © 2016, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- SPA Spanish (Español) (unknown or anonymous translator) , "Buenas tardes, buenas noches", written 2009
Researcher for this text: Emily Ezust [Administrator]
This text was added to the website: 2003-11-21
Line count: 6
Word count: 22
Bonsoir, bonne nuit, Gardé par de petits anges. Ils te montrent en rêve Le petit arbre du petit Jésus [Là-haut dans le paradis, Dors bienheureux chéri.]¹
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to French (Français) copyright © 2012 by Pierre Mathé, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
This text was added to the website: 2013-01-25
Line count: 6
Word count: 26