Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
T'amo, mia vita» la mia cara vita dolcemente mi dice, e 'n questa sola sí soave parola par che trasformi lietamente il core, per farmene signore. O voce di dolcezza, e di diletto! Prendila tosto, Amore; stampala nel mio petto. Spiri solo per lei l'anima mia; T'amo, mia vita» la mia vita sia.
- by Giovanni Battista Guarini (1538 - 1612), appears in Rime, no. 66 [author's text not yet checked against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Claudio Monteverdi (1567 - 1643), "T'amo, mia vita", published 1605 [ vocal quintet], from Libro V de madrigali, no. 17, madrigal [ sung text checked 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- FRE French (Français) (Guy Laffaille) , "« Je t'aime, ma vie", copyright © 2013, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- GER German (Deutsch) (Bertram Kottmann) , copyright © 2019, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- SPA Spanish (Español) (Javier Pablo Sotelo) , ""Te amo, vida mía" mi amada vida", copyright © 2015, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Alberto Pedrotti
This text was added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Line count: 10
Word count: 53
« Je t'aime, ma vie. » ma chère vie doucement me dit, et par cette seule parole si douce elle transforme joyeusement son cœur pour m'en faire le maître. Ô voix de douceur et de plaisir ! Prends-la de suite, Amour ; imprime-la dans mon cœur. Que mon âme respire par elle seule : Que « Je t'aime, ma vie. » soit ma vie.
- Translation from Italian (Italiano) to French (Français) copyright © 2013 by Guy Laffaille, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
- a text in Italian (Italiano) by Giovanni Battista Guarini (1538 - 1612), appears in Rime, no. 66
This text was added to the website: 2013-02-08
Line count: 10
Word count: 64