Some of the following material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. Printing copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator is also illegal.
You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
For more information, contact us at:
Before writing, please read the instructions below the translations (under Authorship). Always include the names of the translators in your email if you wish to reprint something!
Lass' das Zagen, trage mutig Deine Sorgen, deine Qual, Sei die Wunde noch so blutig, Heilen wird sie doch einmal. Unter tiefer Eisesdecke Träumt die junge Knospe schon, Daß der Frühling sie erwecke Mit der Lieder holdem Ton. Nur empor den Blick gewendet, Und durch düst'res Wolkengrau Bricht zuletzt, daß es dich blendet, Glorreich noch des Himmels Blau. Aber auch die trüben Stunden Und die Tränen, die du weinst, Glaub', wie Freuden, die entschwunden, Süßer scheinen sie dir einst. Und mit Wehmut, halb nur heiter, Scheidest du für immerdar Von dem Leiden, dem Begleiter, Der so lange treu dir war.
- by Adolf Friedrich, Graf von Schack (1815 - 1894), "Nur Mut", appears in Gedichte, in 1. Liebesgedichte und Lieder, first published 1866 [author's text checked 1 time against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Richard Georg Strauss (1864 - 1949), "Nur Mut!", op. 17 (Sechs Lieder von Adolf Friedrich Graf von Schack) no. 5 (1887), published 1888 [ high voice and piano ], Hamburg, Rahter [sung text checked 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- CAT Catalan (Català) (Salvador Pila) , "Coratge, tan sols!", copyright © 2020, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- DUT Dutch (Nederlands) [singable] (Lau Kanen) , "Houd moed!", copyright © 2019, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ENG English (Sharon Krebs) , "Only have courage!", copyright © 2013, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Guy Laffaille) , "Seulement du courage !", copyright © 2013, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ITA Italian (Italiano) (Ferdinando Albeggiani) , "Adesso, coraggio!", copyright © 2014, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Alberto Pedrotti
Text added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Last modified: 2014-06-16 10:01:48
Line count: 20
Word count: 100
Leave off your hesitating, courageously bear Your anxieties, your torment, Be the wound ever so bloody, At some point it shall heal. Under a deep blanket of ice The young bud is already dreaming That spring will awaken it With the lovely sound of songs. Only lift your gaze upwards, And through the gloomy grey of the clouds The blue heavens shall finally break So gloriously that you shall be dazzled by it. But the dreary hours, too, And the tears that you weep, Only believe that like joys that have passed away They shall seem all the sweeter to you someday. And with melancholy, only half merry, You shall part forever From the suffering, that companion Who for so long was true to you.
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to English copyright © 2013 by Sharon Krebs, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
- a text in German (Deutsch) by Adolf Friedrich, Graf von Schack (1815 - 1894), "Nur Mut", appears in Gedichte, in 1. Liebesgedichte und Lieder, first published 1866
Text added to the website: 2013-02-25 00:00:00
Last modified: 2014-06-16 10:05:08
Line count: 20
Word count: 125