Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
Che se tu se' 'l cor mio, come se' pur mal grado del cielo e della terra, qualor piagni e sospiri, quelle lagrime tue sono il mio sangue, que' sospiri il mio spirto e quelle pene e quel dolor, che senti, son miei, non tuoi, tormenti.
About the headline (FAQ)
- by Giovanni Battista Guarini (1538 - 1612), appears in Il Pastor Fido, Act III, Scene 4, lines 548-555 [author's text not yet checked against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Wilhelm Killmayer (1927 - 2017), "Madrigale", 1950 [SATB chorus a cappella], from Vier Canzonen, no. 3, Bärenreiter [ sung text not verified ]
- by Claudio Monteverdi (1567 - 1643), "Che se tu se' 'l cor mio", from Libro IV de madrigali, no. 7. [ sung text verified 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- FRE French (Français) (Guy Laffaille) , "Car tu es mon cœur", copyright © 2013, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Alberto Pedrotti
This text was added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Line count: 8
Word count: 46
Car tu es mon cœur et tu le seras pour toujours malgré le ciel et la terre, quand pleurant et soupirant tes larmes sont mon sang, que ces soupirs sont mon esprit et ces peines et cette douleur que tu ressens, sont miennes, et tes tourments à toi.
- Translation from Italian (Italiano) to French (Français) copyright © 2013 by Guy Laffaille, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
- a text in Italian (Italiano) by Giovanni Battista Guarini (1538 - 1612), appears in Il Pastor Fido, Act III, Scene 4, lines 548-555
This text was added to the website: 2013-02-28
Line count: 8
Word count: 48