Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
When soft winds and sunny skies With the green earth harmonize, And the young and dewy dawn, Bold as an unhunted fawn, Up the windless heaven is gone, -- Laugh--for ambushed in the day, -- Clouds and whirlwinds watch their prey.
About the headline (FAQ)
- by Percy Bysshe Shelley (1792 - 1822), "Fragment: "When soft winds and sunny skies"", first published 1839 [author's text checked 1 time against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Creighton Allen (1900 - 1969), "Evening", published 1954, from Shelley Songs, Cycle of Ten Songs, no. 9. [text not verified]
- by George Antheil (1900 - 1959), "When soft winds", published 1951 [SATB chorus and piano], from Eight Fragments from Shelley, no. 1. [text not verified]
Available translations, adaptations, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ITA Italian (Italiano) (Ferdinando Albeggiani) , title 1: "Quando venti leggeri e cieli luminosi", copyright © 2013, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Emily Ezust [Administrator]
This text was added to the website: 2005-01-24
Line count: 7
Word count: 39
Quando venti leggeri e cieli luminosi fanno dolce contorno alla verde terra, e la giovane alba fresca di rugiada, audace come il cerbiatto quando non è cacciato, si è ormai levata nel cielo senza vento, -- Sii lieto -- perché in agguato dentro il giorno, -- nuvole e turbini attendono la preda.
- Translation from English to Italian (Italiano) copyright © 2013 by Ferdinando Albeggiani, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
- a text in English by Percy Bysshe Shelley (1792 - 1822), "Fragment: "When soft winds and sunny skies"", first published 1839
This text was added to the website: 2013-03-28
Line count: 7
Word count: 49