Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
Golden lacht und glüht der Morgen Über maiengrünen Höh'n, Und [du, Seele, sinnst]1 voll Sorgen, Und die Welt ist doch so schön! Vöglein singen, Glocken schlagen, [Blütenlicht durchflammt]2 das Land. Wirf dein [Zagen und dein Klagen]3 [Herz]4, in diesen Freudenbrand!
1 Wolf: "die Seele bricht"
2 Wolf: "Blütenduft durchzieht"
3 Wolf: "Klagen und dein Zagen"
4 Wolf: "Ganz"
- by Ludwig Auerbach , "Der goldene Morgen" [author's text checked 1 time against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
Available translations, adaptations, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ITA Italian (Italiano) (Ferdinando Albeggiani) , title 1: "Il mattino dorato", copyright © 2008, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ENG English (Sharon Krebs) , title 1: "The golden morning", copyright © 2013, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Guy Laffaille) , title unknown, copyright © 2014, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Research team for this text: Alberto Pedrotti , Sharon Krebs [Guest Editor]
This text was added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Line count: 8
Word count: 40
Golden, the morning laughs and glows Over the heights in the green of May. And [you, soul, brood]1, full of anxieties, And yet the world is so beautiful! Little birds sing, bells ring, The [light of blossoms flames]2 through the land. Cast your [hesitations and your laments, Heart,]3 into this fire of joy!
1 Wolf: "the soul breaks"
2 Wolf: "The scent of blossoms passes"
3 Wolf: "laments and your hesitations/ Completely"
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to English copyright © 2013 by Sharon Krebs, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
This text was added to the website: 2013-09-01
Line count: 8
Word count: 53