Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
Der Spiegel dieser treuen, braunen Augen Ist wie von innerm Gold ein Wiederschein; Tief aus dem Busen scheint er's anzusaugen, Dort mag solch Gold in heil'gem Gram gedeihn. In diese Nacht des Blickes mich zu tauchen, Unwissend Kind, du selber lädst mich ein -- Willst, ich soll kecklich mich und dich entzünden, Reichst lächelnd mir den Tod im Kelch der Sünden!
About the headline (FAQ)Confirmed with Mörike, Eduard Friedrich. Gesammelte Schriften, Erster Band, G. J. Göschen'sche Verlagshandlung, 1878, page 133.
- by Eduard Mörike (1804 - 1875), no title, appears in Peregrina (originally from the novel Maler Nolten), no. 1 [author's text checked 1 time against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Ralf Gothóni (b. 1946), "Der Spiegel dieser treuen, braunen Augen", first performed 2004 [ medium voice, viola, and piano ], from Peregrina-Gedichte, no. 1 [sung text not yet checked]
- by Hans Huber (1852 - 1921), "Der Spiegel dieser treuen, braunen Augen", op. 32 no. 1, published 1878 [ low voice and piano ], from Peregrina-Lieder, no. 1, Mainz, Schott [sung text not yet checked]
- by Walther Prokop (b. 1946), "Der Spiegel dieser treuen, braunen Augen", 2003 [ baritone and piano ], from Peregrina, no. 1 [sung text not yet checked]
- by Wolfgang Ulrich (1924 - 1995), "Peregrina I", 1984 [sung text not yet checked]
- by Hugo Wolf (1860 - 1903), "Peregrina I", from Mörike-Lieder, no. 33 [sung text checked 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- CAT Catalan (Català) (Salvador Pila) , copyright © 2019, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ENG English (Emily Ezust) , "Peregrina I", copyright ©
- FRE French (Français) (Pierre Mathé) , copyright © 2009, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Stéphane Goldet) (Pierre de Rosamel) , copyright © 2014, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ITA Italian (Italiano) (Ferdinando Albeggiani) , "Peregrina I", copyright © 2013, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Emily Ezust [Administrator]
This text was added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Line count: 8
Word count: 60
Lo specchio dei tuoi sinceri occhi scuri è come un rilucere di oro interiore; Tu sembri aspirarlo dal profondo del petto là dove quest'oro cresce in un sacro dolore. A naufragare nella notte del tuo sguardo, ingenua fanciulla, tu stessa mi inviti, vuoi che con audacia entrambi io infiammi, mi offri sorridendo la morte nella coppa del peccato!
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to Italian (Italiano) copyright © 2013 by Ferdinando Albeggiani, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
- a text in German (Deutsch) by Eduard Mörike (1804 - 1875), no title, appears in Peregrina (originally from the novel Maler Nolten), no. 1
This text was added to the website: 2013-09-17
Line count: 8
Word count: 58